Immaculate '95 Kona Kula

Barneyballbags":11jnaie2 said:
Mossy":11jnaie2 said:
Very nice indeed Mr Ballbags. Love the colour and is time warp condition as others have stated. Congratualtions. How much did you pay for it may I ask? ;)

Would be nice to see the full 1995 Kona range all lined up in the flesh :cool:

I paid £320 for it. A bit more than I'd budgeted but worth it I think :)

Good fair price reflected in the condition. Well done.

Mossy":2zq7z8wk said:
Good fair price reflected in the condition. Well done.

Cheers :)

Like I said, it was a little bit more than I'd budgeted for but I figured it was well worth it. It's not often you find one in this condition and it was only a short train ride away so I couldn't really say no ;)

Set the forks up today with just over 30psi in each leg. They don't have much travel (but who needs it anyway if you can ride a bike properly!) and the rebound is lightning fast. Fortunately that's just how I like it and they soak up the bumps really really well :)

The only things I'm going to change are the saddle to a Flite/Charge Spoon (not period correct but I bought the bike to ride and I prefer them over the Kona saddle), and the brake pads to proper XT pads and Shoes. That's it!

al-onestare":31e82yug said:
That's in insane condition. Personally I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Its like it just came out of the shop :)

I'm changing the saddle purely because I don't get on with it (I have a Flite shaped arse!) and I'm changing the tyres. I'm keeping the original tyres now though so that if I ever came to sell the bike I can pop them back on.

After my mishap with the original seatpost (ie. me overtightening the saddle clamp and snapping the top cradle :(), I've had to replace the seatpost (for now) with a KORE unit until I find another clamp to fit the original one.

I've also changed the saddle, as I originally planned. I think it looks much better with the tan saddle. It seems to compliment the decals and stem quite well. I'm planning to get some tan grips next to set it off properly.

I've also swapped the original Mr Dirt/The Cleaner tyres for some IRC Mythos redwall ones. I think it looks much better and seems to give the bike a more racy look, which I like :)

That's it for the changes for now. I'm eventually going to upgrade the brakes, shifters and mechs to M950 and I might try to find a nice set of silver hope-hubbed wheels to fit to it too. I realise that this will detract from how original the bike is, but it's a keeper and a rider - I'm not out to win an originality contest. I'll probably keep all the XT kit anyway so that I can put it all back on and sell it as a 'time capsule' bike if I ever decide to part with it. Here's a pic anyway - let me know what you think, bad or good ;)

P1000313.jpg

Looks really nice and very "tasteful" :cool: bud..the "spoon" seat..any good?

Ernie ;)

Back