1994 Kona Kula lucky find!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
looking good.
replace them ball like things in the head set that should be shiny but have turned a love shade of gray now. should make a huge difference.

what did the races look like? I had a set polished once to keep it.

Thanks folks! She’s up and and together now, maiden voyage will be into town to grab a coffee and sandwich.. 🤞
Had no end of issues trying to get the front mech indexing properly. Turned out (in the end) to be the bb was too short. I took out the 111mm and replaced with un71 115mm and bobs your uncle - crisp shifting now. Man did I sweat getting the old one out, tight all the way!
645D7D30-6959-4CBB-8CF8-E1E7E10E44D0.jpeg 37820924-E161-49A4-B2A1-33F76B8069E4.jpeg
It’s at the stage now where I’m happy with it. Not catalogue correct but to a good standard all the same. 12.2kg as she sits now which I’m chuffed with.
Maybe some new decals for the forks? And polish the chainset and canti’s properly, then just ride and wait for correct parts to show up.

Good looking bike!
What are those original dog collars made of? Steel or aluminium? I'd be worried the brake cable might rub through the DMR clamp, tbh.

Also: Is there any sort of bend to the bars? They look remarkably straight.

looking good.
replace them ball like things in the head set that should be shiny but have turned a love shade of gray now. should make a huge difference.

what did the races look like? I had a set polished once to keep it.
Cheers, you reckon I could find a new caged bearing set or just buy loose bearings? Any idea what size? Races aren’t too bad actually - especially considering the state they were in!

Good looking bike!
What are those original dog collars made of? Steel or aluminium? I'd be worried the brake cable might rub through the DMR clamp, tbh.

Also: Is there any sort of bend to the bars? They look remarkably straight.
Think the originals were ally too - least they were on my ‘92 Explosif.. they do wear but not as quick as you’d think. I was toying with the idea of drilling the hole out a bit more and putting a piece of brake noodle in there.. see how it goes.
Yes the bars are a straight piece of titanium (as standard) not even got a taper to them as they use a shim!

Looks to be in better shape than mine! 😂 Worth checking the fork for cracks! It’s probably got the original Bontrager TI bar which are cool!

Attachments

• 21748ADE-6EE1-46E4-B4F3-0E9A9E22F83A.jpeg
    21748ADE-6EE1-46E4-B4F3-0E9A9E22F83A.jpeg
    519.6 KB · Views: 16
Back