1994 Kona Kula lucky find!

Looks to be in better shape than mine! šŸ˜‚ Worth checking the fork for cracks! Itā€™s probably got the original Bontrager TI bar which are cool!
That an 18ā€ too? Looks like itā€™s been well used, as intended(!), nice. Ooh youā€™ve got a
nice dog collar on that - thatā€™s not a standard Kona one is it?
Yep - Bontrager bars.. ;)

That an 18ā€ too? Looks like itā€™s been well used, as intended(!), nice. Ooh youā€™ve got a
nice dog collar on that - thatā€™s not a standard Kona one is it?
Yep - Bontrager bars.. ;)
Iā€™m not sure? Itā€™s was originally a barn find, stripped it for parts as the paintwork was knackered! All original including Kevlar saddle! My fork was cracked! You donā€™t see this ever! Iā€™d hang on to yours, even if it does end up on the garage wall one day!

Cheers, you reckon I could find a new caged bearing set or just buy loose bearings? Any idea what size? Races arenā€™t too bad actually - especially considering the state they were in!
can't tell you the size from memory but there aren't many sizes used, 5/32, 3/16 and 1/4" being the norm. a quick measure with a caliper will tell you. buy loose and drop them in the cage.

Edit, I count 23 bearings, so I'm putting my bet on 5/32. 3.96mm (4mm to the norms)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Iā€™m not sure? Itā€™s was originally a barn find, stripped it for parts as the paintwork was knackered! All original including Kevlar saddle! My fork was cracked! You donā€™t see this ever! Iā€™d hang on to yours, even if it does end up on the garage wall one day!
Saw this one with a cracked fork - optimistic price maybe? Let me know if youā€™d consider parting with the dog collar? No rush though!
I will be hanging on to this awhile yes - it was one of those right place/right time finds and is a good fit for me. šŸ‘

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Think the originals were ally too - least they were on my ā€˜92 Explosif.. they do wear but not as quick as youā€™d think. I was toying with the idea of drilling the hole out a bit more and putting a piece of brake noodle in there.. see how it goes.
Yes the bars are a straight piece of titanium (as standard) not even got a taper to them as they use a shim!

Best idea is to run a short piece of cable liner inside the collar, no need to drill out then.

I think there was a Dog Collar to fit this for sale recently on here.

Ha! Yes! Thatā€™s the one! Always the optimist! šŸ˜„ Iā€™ll have a think on the collar, Iā€™ll be in-touch šŸ‘

Iā€™d been thinking about the dog collar and I had a bit of time this afternoon so had another crack at improving it.
8C06A361-08CA-4DEE-801B-968BB0254A9F.jpeg 852F4D26-AC4C-4E39-BCAA-C0BB6A54F22B.jpeg
The DMR clamp already had a threaded boss on it so I enlarged my cable hole and used a piece of old noodle to sleeve the brake cable. A cut down Allen bolt in the boss holds it all in place.
Looks and works a treat I reckon, no real need to hunt for a real one anymore..

Back