ID help please: Univega Alpina Pro/Comp?

seiben

Specialized Fan
Hi all

I wonder if there are any Univega experts around who can help me with an ID?

I've had this bike kicking around for several years, purchased as a cheap singlespeed built by the previous owner using his spares box, and subsequently tinkered with by yours truly to make it a more usable trail bike. The previous owner also stripped and powdercoated the frame during his build, so I've no original decals to go off.

A bit of google-fu suggests I have an early-mid 90s Alpina, I think either a Pro or Comp based on where the seat-stays meet the seat tube. It also has the 'max mudroom' dropped chainstays commensurate with Alpinas of the era.

Is there any way of narrowing down the year/model? I've attached a few pictures. Please forgive the very eclectic mix of parts (not to mention the odd bit of surface rust...), it's a complete mongrel but I rather like it :)

49991757432_7bcdb82109_b.jpg

49991757682_29c3f48e49_b.jpg

49991514791_f054e0b566_b.jpg

It has three sets of bottle mounts (two on opposing sides of the down-tube) which seems a tad unusual to me:
49991515336_25e904cf7a_b.jpg

49990996378_4018034932_b.jpg

You can just make out the serial number stamped on the bottom of the BB - G7226596
49991760702_fa3f4fc4f9_b.jpg

Re:

My Old Univega Alpina Pro from 1991

file.php

It had different a different canti cable stop on the back compared with yours.

Thanks (that looks stunning, btw!).

It's the additional bottle mounts on the bottom of the down-tube which are throwing me, as I've not seen them on anything else :?

seiben":1hyqjyyk said:

It's the additional bottle mounts on the bottom of the down-tube which are throwing me, as I've not seen them on anything else :?

Thanks, my first ever Retro build.

You can easily fit extra bottle bosses - drill and fit a rivnut!
However my wife's old Alpina Alu 800 has a 3rd set of bottle bosses underneath I'm sure. I'm sadly about to scrap the frame as it has cracked.
Univegas are massively under-appreciated.

seiben":wjpg50vs said:

The mounts on the underside of the down tube will be for a crud guard rather than an extra place to mount a bottle holder.

See, I thought that initially but a) they're way too low down (towards the BB) to be of any use and b) the spacing is the same as the other bottle mounts.

Hamster makes a good point that they could well have been added - sounds like this is more likely than the other option, which is that they were specific to a particular model/year.

Keep the thoughts coming though, folks. I'd love to see if I can get some period-correct decals, if only I know which ones I need :LOL:

Hmm. Yeah, there's a small amount of rust around the BB and chain stays which I need to clear up.

Worth drilling a couple of drain holes in the rear stays? Or is that a terrible idea? :D

Nah

Heres mine to get you excited/ put you to sleep - note the rear cable stop; your cable guide looks to make it a higher model

file.php

univega_524.jpg

Back