Sold 3x 1993 KHS Montana Pro Frames

MSYT

Retro Guru
Frames to clear. £30 £25 £20 a pop!

I have spent the last couple of years collecting Montana Pro frames looking for the "perfect" frame. Of course this has left me with a few I don't need so here we are. The Montana Pro was the second highest offering in the 1993 lineup from KHS. However it actually shared the same frameset as the Team model using Tru Temper OX Ultra 2 tubing. The only difference was the groupset between the two bikes. The Montana Pro was an excellent lightweight frameset.

FRAME 1: Of course a bike of this age has scrapes, scratches and scuffs but unknown to me at the time of buying the frame someone in the past has removed a stuck seatpost with a little too much force. The top of the seat tube looks a little beaten up but the damage is below. All that force managed to bend in clamp area and caused a split just below the clamp. I've managed to straighten it up to a degree but a small dent and the split remains. There is also evidence of a hacksaw cut in the seat tube if you shine a light down. I don't think this would effect the riding but it's something to be aware of.

The frame specs are as follows:

Seat Tube: 18" or 46cm C-T
Wheel Size: 26" MTB
Brake Mounting: Cantilever
Seatpost Size: 26.8mm
Rear OLD: 135mm
Bottom Bracket Shell: 68mm
Head Tube: 1"

Collection from Tamworth
montana pro split.JPG montana pro split 2.JPG

FRAME 2: Of course a bike of this age has scrapes, scratches and scuffs but unknown to me at the time of buying the frame it has had a front end impact. I did a two hour round trip to pick up this frame and only noticed when I started to build it. Initially I saw the paint chipped away near the weld on the head tube and then I checked it with a steel rule to see the damage. The previous owner said they were unaware of it and had been riding it round like that with no issues but it's obviously something to be aware of.

montona pro bent 1.JPG
montona pro bent 2.JPG

FRAME 3: Of course a bike of this age has scrapes, scratches and scuffs but unknown to me at the time of buying the frame has had the serial number ground off the bottom bracket. I didn't discover this until months after recieving the frame and when I did I contacted the previous owner who said they had owned and ridden the bike for a couple of years and had bought it from a bike shop/charity prior to that. Ground off serial numbers always look bad and I understand if it puts others off like it's put me off but it's something to be aware off before buying this frame.

Seat Tube: 16" or 41cm C-T

Collection from Tamworth

montana pro serial 1.JPG montana pro serial 2.JPG

Last edited:
Frames to clear. £30 a pop!

I have spent the last couple of years collecting Montana Pro frames looking for the "perfect" frame. Of course this has left me with a few I don't need so here we are. The Montana Pro was the second highest offering in the 1993 lineup from KHS. However it actually shared the same frameset as the Team model using Tru Temper OX Ultra 2 tubing. The only difference was the groupset between the two bikes. The Montana Pro was an excellent lightweight frameset.

FRAME 1: Of course a bike of this age has scrapes, scratches and scuffs but unknown to me at the time of buying the frame someone in the past has removed a stuck seatpost with a little too much force. The top of the seat tube looks a little beaten up but the damage is below. All that force managed to bend in clamp area and caused a split just below the clamp. I've managed to straighten it up to a degree but a small dent and the split remains. There is also evidence of a hacksaw cut in the seat tube if you shine a light down. I don't think this would effect the riding but it's something to be aware of.

Collection from Tamworth
View attachment 695989View attachment 695988

FRAME 2: Of course a bike of this age has scrapes, scratches and scuffs but unknown to me at the time of buying the frame it has had a front end impact. I did a two hour round trip to pick up this frame and only noticed when I started to build it. Initially I saw the paint chipped away near the weld on the head tube and then I checked it with a steel rule to see the damage. The previous owner said they were unaware of it and had been riding it round like that with no issues but it's obviously something to be aware of.

View attachment 695990
View attachment 695991

FRAME 3: Of course a bike of this age has scrapes, scratches and scuffs but unknown to me at the time of buying the frame has had the serial number ground off the bottom bracket. I didn't discover this until months after recieving the frame and when I did I contacted the previous owner who said they had owned and ridden the bike for a couple of years and had bought it from a bike shop/charity prior to that. Ground off serial numbers always look bad and I understand if it puts others off like it's put me off but it's something to be aware off before buying this frame.

Seat Tube: 16" or 41cm C-T

Collection from Tamworth

View attachment 695986View attachment 695987

Nice!
Tempting…

By the way I like your YouTube channel😉

Morning - I don't suppose you've got the frame numbers from frames 1 and 2?
I have a single number from a 1993 bike, it appears very similar to my 1994 Diamondback Axis (which also has a True Temper tubeset) - Another number or two would be interesting. I think it is also possible to date them from the frame number.

Back