I may have made a mistake! 1999 GT XCR 3000 i drive.

Turbo12

Dirt Disciple
Just bought this bike, intending it to be my daughter's first adult sized bike. However I failed to take into account the ground clearance! The frame is fine once she's on it, but getting on it is quite a struggle!

However, the bike is much better condition than I expected, 1 owner from new! But it's a small size frame, and I'm 5'11", so I guess it's too small for me? Trying to find some justification to keep it, help me out!

Attachments

• PXL_20230222_171932515.jpg
    PXL_20230222_171932515.jpg
    700.7 KB · Views: 43
To be expected. I noticed that on my hardtail vs FS the distance from saddle to pedal is identical, but everything on the FS is about 2 inches further from the ground. I have to dismount the saddle and straddle the top tube to get both feet on the ground. One of 3 things will happen; it’ll require some adaptation to ride, she really will grow into it, or ol’ dad has a sweet GT.

To be expected. I noticed that on my hardtail vs FS the distance from saddle to pedal is identical, but everything on the FS is about 2 inches further from the ground. I have to dismount the saddle and straddle the top tube to get both feet on the ground. One of 3 things will happen; it’ll require some adaptation to ride, she really will grow into it, or ol’ dad has a sweet GT.
I've only had hardtails before, so just hadn't thought about it. She will grow into it eventually, but there is a danger I might nick it before that! Just not sure if it's a big enough frame for me. Suppose I better sneak in a ride when she's not looking!

find a hardtail frame cheap. (something like a Carrera or similar, just about good enough quality but dirt cheap on the evilbay)
swap the parts till she's grown enough.
swap back.

:)

Just not sure if it's a big enough frame for me.

It’s not. At 5’11 you should be on a large. I’m sure you could make it so you physically fit on it, but it would never ride remotely well.

That generation of GT were never amazing. Suspension pivots needed a lot of maintenance and the dog bones and bolts broke often enough to be considered consumables, but to be fair, that looks like a pretty good example.

Frames swap could work, but personally I’d keep as is and find a short term bike until she grows a bit, if you have the money. The way prices are, I doubt you’d lose money on a short term flip.

Last edited:
Back