Photoshot of the Vitalicio Seguros Team bike that may have been Oscar Freire's practice bike

jamesdak

Old School Hero
Since I was setup shooting the Motta I posted yesterday I went ahead and shot this one too. Confirmed team bike but I've not confirmed it was actually Oscar Freire's.

I bought fully expecting it not to be genuine but the price was good for the frame build and parts. The more research I do though makes it seem like it just might be. I've found pictures of 5 other bikes like this with the riders name in the same style decal as this one. Those riders all show up on the Vitalicio Seguros cycling team roster. Some of the bikes have the same decals, some have some differences. There is a rectangular yellowing spot on the one chain stay where a decal used to be. This decal shows in some of the team pics online. The bike photographs well but does have a lot of touch up paint on it and other expected wear. The only marking on the bottom is 83 T. It does take a quill stem like in the team pictures. It came with this funky adapter setup. Limited clearance on the front fork. I put on a different wheel with a GP 4000s II 700 x 23 and it cleared but with only about 2mm. So for now I put on these smaller old GP 3000 700 x 23 tires I had laying around the house. Campagnolo 9 speed setup some parts say Titanium. It is a light Ti seatpost on it. I set it up so I can ride it despite being smaller than normal for me. But, I've done nothing to fix the cosmetic wear stuff yet. Want to leave it pretty original in case it is authentic.

I got it from a guy who got it from Tony Tom at Bike Odyssey. It'll be so cool if I can confirm this was one of Oscar Freire's bikes. Certainly not the one he won the WC on in 1999 for the team but it sure does match up to some of the online pics of other team bikes. Supposed to have been his practice/training bike.

173696686.jpg

173696687.jpg

173696688.jpg

173696689.jpg

173696690.jpg

173696691.jpg

173696692.jpg

173696693.jpg

173696694.jpg

173696695.jpg

Just a little update on this one. Finally got it out for a full 30 mile ride today. I'm still recovering from a knee replacement but the bike seemed to hold speed pretty well for what I could manage. I made a little change to it because I found some nice red spoked Fulcrum Racing 0 wheels recently and put them on it. Tires are GP 5000 700 x 25. IMG_8648.jpg IMG_8649.jpg IMG_8654.jpg IMG_8655.jpg

Back