I don't get why some people don't get ebikes.

It's all down to jealousy.
I heard her in the video, stating that some customers were regular cyclists (from Bath!) who had hills they didn't feel like climbing. I guess you could call that jealousy, must be hard to watch others accomplish difficult things that you can't do.
VW News - Bike Bath.png

I have a problem with the logic behind the idea they keep touting, that an e bike rider has less of a carbon footprint than a meat bike rider. We're told that an e biker is getting an equal workout, and yet the combined carbon output of rider and electric motor is somehow being presented as lower than a conventional rider. They are better than a car, but they can not ever beat the bicycle. Anyone who claims otherwise, is in denial

Electric assist has definitely got people I know riding/commuting who would otherwise be driving. Consumer waste is something that needs dealing with generally, and until we have a much stricter regime in that regards 'disposable' items will become yet more waste. E-assist bikes that cost £1500 and have run their three year warranty may also have already paid for themselves in the first six month's public transport costs. They may still have plenty of life left; but to some they are 'old', undesirable and taking up space in their basement, garage or such, and just need to go. That is the mindset that needs changing, whatever it applies to.

I have a problem with the logic behind the idea they keep touting, that an e bike rider has less of a carbon footprint than a meat bike rider. We're told that an e biker is getting an equal workout, and yet the combined carbon output of rider and electric motor is somehow being presented as lower than a conventional rider. They are better than a car, but they can not ever beat the bicycle. Anyone who claims otherwise, is in denial

It's clear to me that an ebike is generallly not giving the same level of workout as an pure pedal one. It could do, but you go further or faster. More likely, however, is that you get a bit of a workout and the so does the ebike.

The carbon footprint seems to be calculated on a per distance traveled basis. If it normally costs me 400 calories to ride 20 miles, but an ebike means I can do it on 200 calories then potentially that's less food I have to eat (and all of the associated carbon emissions). I can well believe that an electric motor is more efficient carbon wise than feeding extra food to a human rider. Counter intuitive, perhaps even annoying, but plausible.

As an aside, escooters are also incredibly efficient as a form of transport - you are basically carrying someone several miles on the equivalent of an electric drill and its battery.

Back