sugino tension discs, anybody a fan

DrJo

Senior Retro Guru
So I've seen the ridiculous prices these sell for over on the mtb forum and I was wondering why they don't get a similar reaction for road. Do these not command the same level of respect or are they just an mtb thing?

I think they were just more of a mtb thing than road. You see loads of iconic downhill pictures in mid air from bitd, but I can’t think of any on road bikes. Did anyone even use them in road races or TTs?

I think they were just more of a mtb thing than road. You see loads of iconic downhill pictures in mid air from bitd, but I can’t think of any on road bikes. Did anyone even use them in road races or TTs?
Did they make a 700C version?

I picked this one up for £280, which I thought was a bit of a bargain but now I'm not so sure

Attachments

• nos1cropped.jpg
    nos1cropped.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 8
Hey!

I was wondering if anyone could...

1) Tell me if the 'Team 846' was a special variant of this, or just more decals?..and,

2) Offer me a Team 846 one to fit my TNT freehub (36h) and balance my bike out; as I will have the Link forks on the front.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Happy Trails!

Andrew.

Hey!

I was wondering if anyone could...

1) Tell me if the 'Team 846' was a special variant of this, or just more decals?..and,

2) Offer me a Team 846 one to fit my TNT freehub (36h) and balance my bike out; as I will have the Link forks on the front.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Happy Trails!

Andrew.
sounds like your talking mtb not road. Some pics might help for clarity. Team 846 and leading link forks sounds very proflexy.

sounds like your talking mtb not road. Some pics might help for clarity. Team 846 and leading link forks sounds very proflexy.
Ahhh, very sorry!
Yes, I am talking MTB I'm afraid.
I've only just now found out they were a road thing too...my last road bike was an 80's Emmelle and I haven't looked back since '89.
Bike is - Marin Team Titanium '94 with 'Team 846 Links' forks, designed by the same man who invented the tension disc (I think?) Tadashi Yashiro.
Sorry for the rude interruption.
Edit:
(That'll teach me to jump in before finding out which section it's posted in... 'Retro Classic ROAD' 😆)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back