I am fed up with Ebay.

sandmangts

Senior Retro Guru
I sold some stuff to a few retrobikers and mtbr members last week and I gave them free shipping only to find out Ebay is now charging a final value fee on shipping costs! If in the auction I state shipping is 20 bucks they charge me a percentage! This is meant to encourage free shipping and keep sellers from overcharging but it is unfair to sellers who end up biting the bullet. Also they charged me the fee despite the fact that I gave free shipping! They charge based on what I put in the auction, not the final total. I have demanded my money back but until then check out my rant:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0565086501
They even filter what you say in your auction so buyers don't know how they screw sellers by making the top seller discounts impossible to attain. They double dip on fees by making you use Pay Pal. I smell an anti-trust lawsuit coming for these nazi's.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Bastards!!! I never knew they did that. I reckon put a disclaimer on all auctions as a photobucket jpeg so they can't trawl for the words...

uno-speedo":28olqckt said:
And don't forget this hobby can now be taxed (if applicable) starting this year.

http://forums.ebay.com/thread.jspa?thre ... 5494201343
Yep, and guess who is campaining the most against the tax? Ebay! Why? Because they don't want the government to do what they have been doing for years. They know they will have to lower fees to get people to continue selling. I hope someone like Google or Yahoo realizes how many people hate ebay and create a site to compete. I would be the first to jump ship. I hate that I can't leave negative feedback when some moron jerks me around and doesn't pay or I get double team fake bids who bid my items up real high and then retract so their buddy gets it cheap. They pull crap like this and I can't call them out. B/S.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yahoo used to have an International bid site but they all got taken down except japan which is still going strong. If you can speak Japanese they trade some Awesome retro pieces on there...

I've had a bunch of stuff recently wherepeople didn't pay and there's no comeback. Those fools should be hit with the banning stick.

Google best bet maybe??

sandmangts":208029v2 said:
I sold some stuff to a few retrobikers and mtbr members last week and I gave them free shipping only to find out Ebay is now charging a final value fee on shipping costs! If in the auction I state shipping is 20 bucks they charge me a percentage! This is meant to encourage free shipping and keep sellers from overcharging but it is unfair to sellers who end up biting the bullet. Also they charged me the fee despite the fact that I gave free shipping! They charge based on what I put in the auction, not the final total. I have demanded my money back but until then check out my rant:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0565086501
They even filter what you say in your auction so buyers don't know how they screw sellers by making the top seller discounts impossible to attain. They double dip on fees by making you use Pay Pal. I smell an anti-trust lawsuit coming for these nazi's.

Hold on a minute there cowboy. So you get tagged a little extra final value fee on the shipping but......This from eBay... Sellers not subscribed to a Store: Starting April 19, list Auction-style FREE up to 50 items a month—any start price—and add the Buy It Now option FREE to capture those buyers in a hurry. You pay only if your item sells. Auction-style Final Value Fees will apply to the total amount of sale, including shipping. Starting July 6, Fixed Price Final Value Fee rates will be reduced and applied to the total amount of sale, including shipping.

So you aren't paying any listing fees upfront and you also get the BIN option free instead of paying two bucks for it. So yes, if you are shipping an expensive frame overseas you may need to cover yourself a 5 spot max for the final value fee percentage charged on the shipping but you really should be coming out better in the end. Read all the mice print not just the part that seems to hurt the worst. I think you'll find that in the end your net is within 1-1.5 percent of where it was before this was implemented. On small items you should be coming out ahead.

uno-speedo":ye1zmp0t said:
And don't forget this hobby can now be taxed (if applicable) starting this year.

http://forums.ebay.com/thread.jspa?thre ... 5494201343

Yes but in the US it's also still possible to file and claim deductions for your hobby on schedule A at tax time even if your sales are above the 200 transaction and $20,000. Let's face it there are expensive hobbies out there. Horses, cars, jewelry. I'm guessing what's bothering bike traders about this new eBay reporting is that in the past they've never reported it. You've got shop/storage space, computer time/expense, packaging expenses/time, searching time and many more expenses in your favor. As much yime as we all spend on here is worth something to us as our hobby.

gm1230126":huvwhnj3 said:
Hold on a minute there cowboy. So you get tagged a little extra final value fee on the shipping but......This from eBay... Sellers not subscribed to a Store: Starting April 19, list Auction-style FREE up to 50 items a month—any start price—and add the Buy It Now option FREE to capture those buyers in a hurry. You pay only if your item sells. Auction-style Final Value Fees will apply to the total amount of sale, including shipping. Starting July 6, Fixed Price Final Value Fee rates will be reduced and applied to the total amount of sale, including shipping.

So you aren't paying any listing fees upfront and you also get the BIN option free instead of paying two bucks for it. So yes, if you are shipping an expensive frame overseas you may need to cover yourself a 5 spot max for the final value fee percentage charged on the shipping but you really should be coming out better in the end. Read all the mice print not just the part that seems to hurt the worst. I think you'll find that in the end your net is within 1-1.5 percent of where it was before this was implemented. On small items you should be coming out ahead.

First off, the BIN option doesn't cost $2.00, more like 50 cents......

Sure, if you crunch the numbers, fine, maybe some sellers will come out ahead. What good does that do me if it costs $100 to ship a complete bike in the US? My disgust with this practice comes from the way it deliberately discriminates against sellers who sell large or heavy items. I can sell a bike worth $125 on ebay with $75 shipping...I can't sell a $125 bike on ebay for $200 with free shipping, people just don't see it the same way.

On the flip side, the 50 free auction listings (with the free BIN carrot dangling out there-for now) is a great deal, because I can do auctions starting at prices near the value of the item I'm selling. The down side is I get less interest because the starting price is high.

Regardless, if you think you are getting a good deal from ebay in any way.... you are smoking some serious crack mate. I'm losing $18 +/- for every $100 in items I sell...it's astonishing, really. The company has no inventory, no liability, nothing risked. They have a captured market, and in a recession ebay should be absolutely booming (with an associated stratospheric stock price), but it's not. Why? Because they want to be Amazon.com-the problem with that is that Amazon already exists, and they aren't screwing it up. Ebay doesn't understand that all of their sellers are not doing it full time...or maybe they no longer want 'casual' sellers, because it's the ones committed to making a living from ebay who have to bite the bullet every time fees go up.

Might I add; paypal is cracking down on "gifting".
Ebay/paypal is the devil, but so are the banks, and we have not stopped using them.

Might I propose a one month boycott on ebay/paypal by everyone in the various online bicycle forums, to see how they like it.

Fabulous Idea.

I propose a section on retrobike where we list our items to members onsite by private sale. ;)

Back