Hub advice please.

Re: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=350789

Going back to the start you say that you don't want to cold set the frame. However you could easily fit a 135mm OLN hub between 130mm
dropouts. That's a mere 2.5mm movement required per side. When I rebuilt my Cleland the rear dropouts spread by at least 10mm when
I removed the rear hub !! Your very small inconvenience would be when wheel changing, also the dropouts would be slightly out of parallel
when spread ( placing an uneven load on the hub bearings ) you could simply cold set the dropouts to correct this if required. Its doubtful
that your rear dropouts are exactly parallel anyway, so this is all a bit theoretical

Re:

If it's a steel frame it'll easily cope with 2.5mm each side! I did this BITD quite a few times and never had a problem!
Kes

Thanks but like I said I know it's possible but I really don't want to spread the dropouts or squeeze the wheel in.

hamster":1wufdg20 said:
No, you would need to re-dish as all the spacers come off the left hand side. There are indeed minor differences between some hubs made in both 130 and 135mm. Redishing is not difficult, IIRC it's about 1mm each way, if that. Loosen all the left spokes one turn, tighten the right the same amount and retrue, that's about it. It's much simpler than rebuilding a wheel.

I'll even swapsie you an 1990 M550 LX axle and spacers if you have something similar as I need to go the other way on one wheel.

Thanks hamster, I'll send you a pm.

As before, remove spacers from the non cassette side and redish the wheel to sit symmetrical - very easy

THEN - you may also need to trim the axle otherwise it may sit proud of the drop-outs so the QR wont do up tight.

legrandefromage":7u6vae0h said:
As before, remove spacers from the non cassette side and redish the wheel to sit symmetrical - very easy

THEN - you may also need to trim the axle otherwise it may sit proud of the drop-outs so the QR wont do up tight.

:D :D Thanks. I'm going to swap the axle over from a 130mm hub.

Back