How to treat and care for matte and satin finished frames?

Tsundere

Fat Chance Fan
Feedback
View
Finally decided I'm going to replace the very tatty and peeling decals on my otherwise very pretty Orange, the frame is a kind of satin finish black, it's been touched in and there are some minor scrapes and scuffs here and there but otherwise it's in pretty decent condition. I want to keep the original paint but would like to somehow spruce it up and make it look as good as it possibly can before I apply the new decals. It concerns me that brand new decals on a frame that is showing some signs of age could be too jarring.

No doubt traditional wax and polish products aren't going to produce the best results with this kind of finish, and I assume T-cut too would be ineffective and probably detrimental in terms of the end result. Are there any products that have a restorative effect on matte and satin finishes? Or is it just a case of giving it a thorough clean and maybe touching in where required?

Did you find a solution?
just picked up a new project with part gloss part Matt black finish. I haven’t put the final coat on yet but plan to use gtechniq C2v3 which has been my go to paint sealer for years. I did the initial cleaning with diluted traffic film remover.
I wouldn’t go near Matt black with t cut or any other colour “restorer” which would potentially bring shine to the Matt paint.
I’d be interested in any tips for reviving/preserving the matt finish.

Did you find a solution?
just picked up a new project with part gloss part Matt black finish. I haven’t put the final coat on yet but plan to use gtechniq C2v3 which has been my go to paint sealer for years. I did the initial cleaning with diluted traffic film remover.
I wouldn’t go near Matt black with t cut or any other colour “restorer” which would potentially bring shine to the Matt paint.
I’d be interested in any tips for reviving/preserving the matt finish.
Unfortunately not, or at least not a perfect cure all solution. What I did was give the decal free frame a thorough clean with Muck-Off, wiped it dry with clean cloths before wiping it down again with more clean cloths and rubbing alcohol, this was primarily to lift any remaining adhesive from the old decals but also ensures a pristine grease free surface for applying new ones to.

The results were OK, the trouble with matte black is it showcases any imperfections and blemishes probably better than any other finish, poorly touched in spots that I inherited for example are proving impossible to conceal.

I did a fair bit of research but couldn't really find a definitive answer, there are some products out there that claim to restore matte finishes, but reviews for them were mixed at best.

Reactions: enc
Thanks for the info. My initial touching in I did with “satin black” model paint. Unfortunately, this stood out like a sore thumb so once dry I removed the psint with a water based panel wipe. Once thoroughly dry, I sprayed Matt black, hycoat aerosol into the lid left a minute or two for the solvents to clear and applied with a fine paint brush to the chips, scuffs and scratches. For the most part you really cannot see where it has been touched in. Colour match is 99 percent bang on
As this is matt black I’m unable to add any kind of clear coat which would potentially add gloss. Hence the gtechniq c2v3 which acts as a water repellent.
with your own maybe you should remove the paint already applied to the chips when you purchased the bike and start again with a known product? Carefully applied panel wipe or careful application of rubbing compound should do the trick

A few years ago, I washed a 92 marin palisades with fairly harsh bike shampoo (muck-off) it took the satin black to a barely noticeable sheen and took the colour down 2 shades. I was worried to say the least.
Anyhow, I got a micro cloth and chain lube, evenly spread a light coat on and, it revived it all in front of my eyes!
Not sure how many coats but I was happy.
Future cleaning was a damp cloth and re coat of chain lube.

Reactions: enc
Back