How rare is it

bagpuss

rBotM Winner
Whilst out shopping today I noticed a Raleigh built as a fixed wheel.
The thing that stood out was the single chain set on the left hand side of the bike . I have never seen this before on a solo bike . Owner not about , so no more info and i had no camera with me .

Last edited:
fixed wheel with the chain on the left? that'll be some hipster who thinks it's a good idea (until he manages to unscrew the sprocket while sprinting away from the traffic lights)...

There was a track bike a few years ago made specifically with the chain on the left (can't say NDS in this case can we!), I think it was one of the national teams, not sure which, I think the idea was that since track bikes always "turn left" around the velodrome, having the chainset on the left was more aerodynamic. or something.

I don't think it's ever been an actual solution (especially not on converted raleighs...)

Although I guess it would be OK if the sprocket was drilled and mounted to a 6-bolt disc brake hub?

It was the USA track team that rode with LH chainwheels. I think their logic was that the power to drive the bike from the chainwheel might have more influence on the LH side. It wasn't continued with though.

I picked up an old frame a while ago that had a LH chainset fitted. It was cottered and the RH chainstay was worn through where the crank, when fitted on the RH side, had been repeatedly banging against it. Sadly the owner had passed away so I couldn't 'discuss' it with him.

fixed wheel with the chain on the left? that'll be some hipster who thinks it's a good idea (until he manages to unscrew the sprocket while sprinting away from the traffic lights)...

There was a track bike a few years ago made specifically with the chain on the left (can't say NDS in this case can we!), I think it was one of the national teams, not sure which, I think the idea was that since track bikes always "turn left" around the velodrome, having the chainset on the left was more aerodynamic. or something.

I don't think it's ever been an actual solution (especially not on converted raleighs...)

Although I guess it would be OK if the sprocket was drilled and mounted to a 6-bolt disc brake hub?
I remember those big German sprinters pre the Chris Hoy days had their transmission on the left.
If it's a proper track hub with lockring, it can't unscrew

Thanks for your replies.
Wish I had a camera to hand .
It was an up to date chain set with external bearing .
All very odd .

Last edited:
There was a Canadian Kilo TT rider at either the Worlds or the Olympics in the 1980s who had transmission on both sides of the bike. A low gear freewheel welded backwards to the left side of a flip-flop hub and a high gear fixed sprocket set right at the beginning of the threads on the right side. The freewheel gave him a low gear to start on until the high gear sprocket wound on enough to bottom out on the threads - after that the freewheel just coasted. It wasn't particularly successful other than to draw some attention.

Whilst out shopping today I noticed a Raleigh built as a fixed wheel.
The thing that stood out was the single chain set on the left hand side of the bike . I have never seen this before on a solo bike . Owner not about , so no more info and i had no camera with me .
Did it have the full set of bars..?

Screenshot_20240410-094808.png

Back