How much longer can I go without a mobile phone?

Well, if you're looking around and seeing everyone on their phone - it's more than certain people with addiction predilections, its most of humanity who are vulnerable. These companies know how to hack our attention, and spend millions trying to get better at it. I remember once browsing facebook, and thinking every ad coming up looked vaguely interesting ie they were for kickstarters on innovative new bike designs or products, discounts on bike consumables, films and tv shows I'd likely watch, books etc.

It was then I got both an ad and news feed blocker.
And not being worse than the bookies would scarcely be setting the bar very high! After all, gambling addiction is pretty awful, leading addicts to steal from their families and so on.

I could live without a smartphone quite easily.
The only thing I use it for is google translate app, that's it really. I would miss that.
Perhaps I would miss whatsapp... don't even use that much now...🤔

I don't take my phone cycling, too big and unwieldy (and a bit too expensive/fragile).
Can anyone recommend a small dumb 4G phone for cycling in case I need to call for backup?
(they are turning off the 3G network here and so I just sold my last tiny little backup phone)
Nokia have a range of 4G dumb phones, now marketed as retro digital detoxes.

Late adopter here but had a works one starting way back with one the size of a house brick. Eventually got my own about 12 years ago. I find it very handy. Camera - photo processing app - photo albums (cloud) - music, radio, internet, email, timer, alarm clock, torch, banking, cash machine withdrawal without card, paypal, share dealing, google pay, navigation via google maps & Ordnance Survey (aye I carry a paper map!), grid reference, Greggs, Strava, shared documents, fuel consumption, calculator, protractor (handy for saddles!), mobile video's on fixing stuff, parking, reporting fly tipping, spoke calculator, vehicle tracker, ebike tweaking plus the occasional phone call!

Can I do without it? Easy.

I recently gave up use of smart phones and went back to simple no-app dumb phones. I've got a retro StarTAC for everyday use and an IP65 rated almost unbreakable SOS phone that 'erindoors makes me carry when out on the bike.

The one time I REALLY needed one I had no signal. Last week called 999 for stepladders in middle of dual carriageway. All good. It’s what you make it. Weather, rainfall, tides, Retrobike, eBay and Facebook marketplace. Not exactly modern innovations but convenient.

Use what you need, it's a tool.
Many of the pictures on here wouldn't be here if people didn't take their phones, they're often better than just snapshots. The tech in the lenses and sensors is quite something.
I have a DSLR too, but it is big an bulky, but fun in its own way. Not something you want if you're riding or popping to some place for a general visit. It brings memories easily for some.
If you don't want to use it, don't use the camera.

I use it to pay all the time, don't carry cash and places miss out if they are cash only, their choice.

I'm replying here with it now, outside in the garden relaxing.

People with heads in their phone, I sometimes do it but then it's only a newspaper or book replacement. (or map).

Can take notes and look thing up really easily.

Get one, they don't cost a lot outright for something in the middle with NFC (for payments).

You don't really need a SIM/4G if your happy to use WiFi if available. I did that for many a years, had pay as you go and just topped up if I was going somewhere I needed the data.

But using your phone at concerts etc, yep I agree with you, why?
For a few seconds so you get that memory that shows up in a few years and starts a conversation, yes, but for minutes on end.... 😂

Whilst on a visit to Oslo 5 years ago. The boss and I found that you needed an app on your m/p to access the public toilets .Fss are they monitoring how many times you take a leak a day:eek:💩

Back