How much longer can I go without a mobile phone?

I do this with an SLR though, it's often the reason I'm visiting the gardens/homes/parks in the first place.

not restaurant though, that's to eat, mmmmmm, food.
I get that, also birdwatchers/plane spotters etc where that is the hobby. It just feels like many miss out on a good dose of mindfulness and being part of the moment as they are trying to capture it for likes and following the crowd.

Some places I like the restaurant app thing but the food at those tends to be incidental to the visit not the reason for it.

I must admit the part about the restaurant only having a menu in the app is a bit extreme not to mention rude and stupid, turning trade away in this day and age is just daft because someone can't be bothered to hit print on a computer to get a hard copy.

Or just show you the menu on their phone.

I think the way someone uses a mobile phone, can tell you far more about the user than the phone, don't blame the machine blame the Human operator...

Except that these companies have hundreds of PhDs in psychology etc dedicated to getting you to spend as much time as possible in their apps. They are designed to be addictive.

It's a struggle to get away from them unfortunately, and the 'menus on the app' thing appears to be the latest craze.
We had a nice holiday earlier this year, the kind of place where we expected to leave our phones in our room, only checking on them for updates from the house sitters from time to time, but no, we had to lug them around with us - even to order snacks on the beach :confused:

I could live without a smartphone quite easily.
The only thing I use it for is google translate app, that's it really. I would miss that.
Perhaps I would miss whatsapp... don't even use that much now...🤔

I don't take my phone cycling, too big and unwieldy (and a bit too expensive/fragile).
Can anyone recommend a small dumb 4G phone for cycling in case I need to call for backup?
(they are turning off the 3G network here and so I just sold my last tiny little backup phone)

Only to certain people, and is it any worse than the bookies?

Well, if you're looking around and seeing everyone on their phone - it's more than certain people with addiction predilections, its most of humanity who are vulnerable. These companies know how to hack our attention, and spend millions trying to get better at it. I remember once browsing facebook, and thinking every ad coming up looked vaguely interesting ie they were for kickstarters on innovative new bike designs or products, discounts on bike consumables, films and tv shows I'd likely watch, books etc.

It was then I got both an ad and news feed blocker.

My wife used to say when I went for a ride "Would you like to take my phone?" I would usually answer "F**k no". Then I was told I was having one by my wife. Had one for two years, they are a boil on humanity's a**ehole, I literally hate them. I begrudgingly accept it has it's uses. My wife and son say banking on a phone/online is easy. No. Pay with a phone. No. Everyone in a pub or restaurant LOOK UP ffs life is occuring and you are missing it.
Here here :)

Back