Greetings!

OldSkar

Retro Newbie
Good morning from the west coast of Oregon!

I apologize if there is another “newbie welcome” forum this post would be better suited for.

I am in the process of replacing my old “college bike”, and in doing research for the new bike I stumbled across the Retrobike forum. Wow, what a cool group! Wish you all weren’t so far away!

Anyway, I wanted to share my “old” bike and see if anyone could help me better understand what I have, and what I should do with it once I find a replacement.
I don’t know the age or really any other specifics. When I purchased it from the original owner in 1999, I paid what I felt was a tremendous amount it, and would bring it up and store it inside my dorm room at school since I didn’t trust leaving it locked up outside.

It has always felt a little small for me, which is part of my move to find a replacement. While the shops in my area have always commented on how ‘cool’ of a bike it is, none deal/sell used bikes, or have been able to tell me anything about the age or overall package of what it is.

Thanks all!
Eric

Attachments

• IMG_4076.jpeg
    IMG_4076.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4077.jpeg
    IMG_4077.jpeg
    843.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4078.jpeg
    IMG_4078.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3369.jpeg
    IMG_3369.jpeg
    851.7 KB · Views: 27
It’s a May 91 Zaskar.

91 was the first year of the Zaskar.

Looks to a 18 in size.
Cool, thanks! The frame size I was really curious about as I can’t find a marking or sticker anywhere and wasn’t sure how to measure it.

Cool bike! We all aren't so far away - I think there are plenty from your side of the pond. You could go mad and polish it to death by hand, get new decals, just go plain mad restoring it and bringing it back to life. If you really wanted.
But, it sounds like it's too small (although for me the seatpost isn't ridiculously high at all indicating it's not too small) and want something more modern/ replace it - see if there are some US buyers that'd like it - there surely will be

Hello from the UK. It's quite good on here, friendly. Your bike is nice and Zaskars have quite a fanbase. Your trailer ride looks fun.

Eric

Your journey to retrobike is not uncommon. Many have come with an old bike, seeking information, or valuation.. but instead left with..

.. well.. most of us never left.

You have a cool bike - you could sell it here, easily. Many of the denizens of these parts could have it looking better than new inside a couple of weeks (and Zaskars lend themselves well to this).. but don’t sell it.

Learn about it, restore it - and stick around.

Welcome.. and abandon hope..

Eric

Your journey to retrobike is not uncommon. Many have come with an old bike, seeking information, or valuation.. but instead left with..

You have a cool bike - you could sell it here, easily. Many of the denizens of these parts could have it looking better than new inside a couple of weeks (and Zaskars lend themselves well to this).. but don’t sell it.

This, exactly.

Eric

Thanks! It’s cool to see they are still admired.
If it fit me better, a restore would be most ideal.
Alas, the only thing I seem to have less of than money, is time, and restoring would take significant amounts of both. That, and shops in my area have no interest in helping a person find and service components of this age.
I imagine shipping costs would likely make a sale cost prohibitive, so it will probably stay in my garage. Perhaps my sons can ride it a bit in a few years as they grow. Who knows.

Really appreciate the feedback I’ve gotten. Pretty neat that it’s 32 years old, and outside of the saddle and tires, it is still set up the way I bought it in 1999 and I used it on a hunting trip last month.

Back