How do you cut wires?

Thanks to all the knowledgeable guys and dolls who posted- a veritable fountain of wisdom as always :cool:

Cheers Bryan- got a pair from CRC as per your recommendation- very good call.

I prefer to use Knipex cutters for outer gear cable, and file the ends and use genuine Shimano end caps with teh little white donuts inside..

I use Facom pliers to cut brake outer, as I prefer not to crush the outer. I usually nip the plastic housing apart around the outer, then slightly bend to part the outer spiral and put the cutter jaws in between, I also file the outer ends after cutting.

For gear and brake inner I use Facom pliers, holding the inside part of the cable to stop it splaying. And I always fit small gear anti fray caps to both brake and gear.

Park cutters are rubbish.

hairstream":ojq1r303 said:
Proper Park cutters are the best for cable and housing. However, I take a mini torch, clamp a set of needle-nose vice grips to the end of the cable, heat the cable where I want to cut it, and twist the pliers when it is hot enough... Cuts and brazes the cable at the same time. :) Just don't burn up your nice new paint job or tires, etc. while your doing it!! :shock:

This tip has been working great for me since i read it. Thanks.

Best cable cutters I ever used were SunTour - but unfortunately they weren't mine.

I broke my Park cutters when using them for "unintended purpose" (cutting spokes if you must know)

Currently use the one in the "Pro" range Shimano market alongside their own brand stuff. Like it more than the Park one and it's cheaper too.

I have some cable cutters, but if you use pliers, rest them on the top of a bench vice, then with the cable in the jaws, hit the upper side of the jaw with a hammer, usually gives a clean cut, but cable cutters are best.

In my experience Shimano are the best, certainly for outer. I actually own a set of Park, which unless you have have massive paws, can be tricky to use. :LOL:

Back