Braided Vs standard disc hose?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Is there much of a benefit of braided over normal disc hose?

I'm planning on fitting some hope tech Evo brakes on my latest, most modern, boosted to the max everywhere build, but having a quandary over the braided hose. Simy as black would suit the build better.

Brakes currently have braided hose, but I do have standard black in the stash. Is it worth the faff of changing it for looks? Is braided better so a silly idea for vanity?

I guess much if the rear hose will be hidden due to internal routing, so interested in the performance benefit really.

I doubt you'll be able to feel a difference. Braided just looks nicer, to some. Prefer black. As long as the housing flows cleanly it shouldn't matter if you run cheap as chips or supposed creme de la creme

Braided
Pros -
Possible increase in performance(possibly no discernible difference)
Supposedly feels more positive on the lever(allegedly)
Looks cool.

Cons -
Utter barstard to cut.
Costs more.
--------------------------
Standard
Pros -
Cheaper
Really easy to cut

Cons -
Possibly lower performance(possibly no discernible difference)
Supposedly less positive feel to the lever(Allegedly)
Looks boring.

Both do the job, and I for one have never felt any real difference between the two. Standards been in use for ages and nobody bothered or questioned performance until the bike mags started claiming it increased performance(But they have been known in the past to embellish)

I have the Hope braided on one bike and Jagwire Pro carbon fiber look hose on another.
Both feel the same and provide the same performance. Keep in mind I am no longer in my 20’s, 30’s or even 40’s or 50’s. So hard downhill runs are not happening like they used to.
On my newest build I went with Hope/Goodridge braided. I just feel it has the correct look.
It is a little more difficult, but it’s not that bad.

Braided hose doesn’t “balloon” or stretch like standard hose. It makes brake feel more positive and requires less effort to squeeze the lever. On a sportbike it makes a huge difference over OEM hoses. On a bicycle that rarely exceeds 25mph, I couldn’t imagine much improvement. I suppose that if you keep your pads & discs clean and still require more bite in the brakes, braided hose would be a logical upgrade.

IMHO they're a vanity upgrade on a pushbike, and I'd spend my money elsewhere on the bike.
I'd be looking to downgrade in theory, money was spent long ago, so wouldn't be a cost involved as such.

As they do have benefits albeit ones 8ll probably not notice, I'm leaning towards leaving them as braided.

If you’ve got them already then I’d keep them. As an upgrade option I’d spend money elsewhere. They do look cool though 😎

If it’s internally routed, you’re going to have to take the hose off and bleed the brakes anyway. Is the standard hose new or at least fluid free? I’d rather be pushing that through a new frame rather than a semi filled dripping one.

Braided ones are a pain. They rattle when internally routed , impossible to cut nicely and for the average rider add nothing noticeable in performance.

When routing internally if the lines have fluid you blank them off to feed through. Certainly never feed them through dripping fluid.

Back