Braided Vs standard disc hose?

IMHO they're a vanity upgrade on a pushbike, and I'd spend my money elsewhere on the bike.
This ^^^. I've never noticed any performance difference. I've only ever fitted braided hose to pimp out a bikes looks.
I see no problem with swapping the braided hose for regular hose, whatever you think looks best.

Braided hoses are a great way to ruin your paint. Unless they are coated. Had a set of old M755's with non coated braided hose. Not a fan, a little more flexible than standard hose & they got caught between my kona stinky link & the seat QR. Did a nice 7' to flat drop, cable got cut and that was that.

I've not come across braided hose without a covering. Good to know.

Probably going to run with the braided, bike has become less of a budget build then anticipated so may as well leave the blingier hoses on for now, means I've only got to worry about bleeding the rear and possibly changing the hose if it isn't the right length.

May actually finish it tomorrow if I can get the time while using up leave I didn't take last year.

Braided hoses are a must for high performance brakes like race cars/motorbikes. No need for a bicycle.

B@stard to cut and, given enough time, will saw through anything they rub against. Badly prepped pipework can do alot of damage in quite a short time, on a race track. On the road takes longer.

Braided hoses were only ever meant as abrasion protection for the hose itself. The pressure containment is done at the core and never at the outer skin.

Last edited:
Back