Hope discs question(s)

See, I say if you are wanting a fit and forget (for a while) solution, yeah, buy a newish shimano set. Should be easy peasy.
However, I was in the same boat about 6 months back, ended up with a few sets of hope and set to with spanner and fallen key to strip and clean learning as I went. They are easy, lots of info on the net and service parts forever from the manufacturer. I have never had that experience with any shimano product.
So why not have a go with the hope units, should be fairly simple to get a suitable adapter to fit the mounting and disc size, I think he will tell you on their website. And then in 12 months time you will know how to service, clean etc.
Maybe it's just me?

I do like the idea of the Hopes, and would like to stick with them if I can. The bike they are going on is a modernish build, so nearly opted for a set of M970 discs a couple of weeks back. Had the Hopes lying doing nothing though so though it would be daft not to use them.

I do like the look of the mono calipers over my existing ones, and since the monos will come PM fitting, then I think I'll look for a set of them. Is it right that I need to buy a caliper specific to the size of rotor I'm using (180mm front; 160mm rear)?

fjpshaw":38hcvbbc said:
Is it right that I need to buy a caliper specific to the size of rotor I'm using (180mm front; 160mm rear)?
No, you buy the post mount calipers then get adaptors to space them out to suit the disc size. I *think* you'll probably need a +20 both ends. Rear Hope Post Mount is usually sized for a 140 disc, front for a 160. So you are going +20 at both ends. You'll probably (hopefully?) find most calipers will come with that size adaptor included as its a fairly standard XC/trail combination.

If not, they are only something like a fiver each, i've probably got half a dozen assorted +20s downstairs, they seem to breed!

Correction, you've got IS at the back, you'll still need a +20 mount, but an IS to PM one. They are also common as muck!

Fukkit. I can't get my head around these. Appreciate the answers, but these Hopes are going up for sale. I'm going for M970/975 instead.

Back