Holdsworth Professional Track Frame?

Re:

Well, very approximately, 3/16th"=4.8mm 1/4"=6.4mm
Making your reply Shaun as helpful as that of the guy who responded to Doug's query as to whether his seatstays were 5/8" or 9/16", with "15mm".. :)

Bear with my digression:

Back before routers and their associated templates, the letters on those wooden 'Dunroamin' plaques next to some people's front doors were cut by hand. The cross-section of the incised strokes which formed the letters was a 'v' shape. The letters could be boldened by chiselling a deeper 'v', hopefully leaving the bottom of the 'v' in the same place it had been before within the two-dimensional scheme of the plaque.

'Bolder' looks 'bigger', but the centres of the letters- at the bottom of the 'v's, remains the same size whether the letters are bold or not: v V

And it is just the same with those number punches- they punch numbers which likewise have a 'v' cross-section. Clout them harder and you get numbers that appear 'bigger'. One corollary out of a few possible ones: A lightly punched 1/4" number might appear smaller than a heavily punched 3/16" number, and might even measure smaller too, if you measure from the outside tops of the 'v's instead of from their bottoms.

So it is possible that what CBguy calls '3/16ths' and '1/4' could well be what I am calling '1/8th' and '3/16ths'. If we had the punches themselves to hand to measure, rather than the negative imprints- often full of paint or dirt or both- left behind by them on BB shells, the confusion would disappear.

If its any help I have compared my track frame numbers to 1/4" (0.250") and 3/16" (0.188")

Attachments

• Three Sixteenth Inch.GIF
    Three Sixteenth Inch.GIF
    195.1 KB · Views: 681
  • Quarter Inch.GIF
    Quarter Inch.GIF
    167.7 KB · Views: 681
Unpacking a "Classic" time trial tomorrow which should be a 1981 according to the Aids book from Holdsworth,. Will double check the number :)

Stonking find by Biggs :) unpacked today and what a gem :) Here's a shot of the BB, frame number is 017679

xvthy.jpg

Midlife":3a8m4cec said:

Not sure that it is, I think it is just coincidental. This is part of the six digit system used from 1976, just sequential numbers covering all frames built by Holdsworth including CB and other related bike co.'s

There is some good documentary evidence detailing the production rates at Holdsworth from 76 to 84 and this is what the prediction is based on, steadily increasing production. This number fits the prediction for 1979 although I do not claim 100% accuracy, could be a year either way.

Ah, you are right. I completely forgot about the sequential numbering, I think it's 80-81. Here is a special in the 1981 Holdsworth Aids booklet

p00_01.jpg

Back