Hi all newbie with 91 GT Zaskar

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thought I'd post a new pic, as things have changed. I broke the damper bolt on the RC35AB's, so it now has RC35MXCD's on, also changed the wheels, now riding on Hope Ti Glide hubs on Mavic 517 ceramic rims. Obviously that has led to a change of front brakes to XTR M952. Also managed to get a XXTR M900 rear mech & am in the process of changing the black cables for red 1's & have red Wellgo MG 1's on the way. Will do more pics once everything's here & on.

Riding very nicely at the moment, better than I can ride anyway, but having lots of fun in the sun.

Attachments

• 10350638_646699425409194_7688156769687492946_n.jpg
    10350638_646699425409194_7688156769687492946_n.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 466
Re:

personally, i'd strip it down and build it back up with decent period parts.... starting by losing the horrid red pedals and getting period shimano cranks, front canti, flite saddle etc. sorry if that sounds more harsh than intended :)

Sean

Yeah, could do that, but it's ridden a couple of times a week & I've always found v brakes are much better at stopping than cantis :D

As for the pedals, I thought it was looking a little dull in silver & black, so decided to pick out the red in the GT logo, so went for red cables & pedals (Wellgo MG 1's, as they make just about everyone's pedals anyway & they're good & light & give excellent grip, which gives me more confidence in my riding & therefore more enjoyment).

Obviously you can probably tell, I haven't built a period correct museum piece to be polished at the weekends, I've built a decent bike that works very well around possibly one of the greatest frames. I'm also of the firm belief that had you purchased a Zaskar frame in 91 and hung all the latest Shimano stuff on it, surely you would have upgraded it a couple of years later to newer Shimano stuff. Forks for instance, I had RC35AB's (released 93) on it, but sadly I broke one of the damper bolts, so I now have RC35MXCD's on it (released 95), so neither of those are really period correct, but what should I have on there, a old pair of Rock Shox Mag 20's that won't work as well as the Pace one's & are harder to find & harder to get bits for to service.

I personally had a Muddy Fox Courier Comp back in the late 80's early 90's and was constantly upgrading bits & bobs on it, so even though it was bought new, it was never the same as when I bought it & by the early 90's it would not have been period correct.

Anyways, everyone is entitled to their opinion & the pedals STAY!!! :cool:

Back