Help with SORA 3400RD

Spudalumps

Senior Retro Guru
I picked up a bike on the side of the road about a month ago and on the cheap replaced wheels, chain, cables, housing, tyres and tubes. All in all literally £50 invested here she is:

A2E42D19-FDE8-44D6-B164-8B12A7E5963A.jpeg

OLDER IMAGE (couldn’t be arsed opening shed again 😴)

Im used to retro mountain bike pre 1997 and this SORA groupset is boggling me!

The rear mech only seems to pivot from the hanger rather than the cage moving (I’m not sure if this is normal as it doesn’t seem like there is a way to take apart like you could with XT m7XX / XTR m9XX)

is this normal? If so I’m also having an issue with the chain indexing to the lowest gear in the rear the jockey wheel seems to cause everything to jam up?

Is this mech toast?

Kind regards,

Jason <3

thats a whole embaflement of questions going on there

what speed is the cassette?

Sora mechs are perfectly normal and will work with just about anything

need pics as it could be... <deep breath>

Kink in the chain

bent mech hanger

seized mech pivots

broken jockey wheel

bent tooth on the cassette

twisted cage

Chickens

It's not chickens. They cause different issues.

I reckons from that picture that
1. Cassette is worn to crap
2. Hanger possible bent
3. Pivots are seized in the mech.

How to fix
1. Replace
2. Straighten (use right tool)
3. Lubrication and wiggles.

Yup, cassette looks on its way out, and the area near the b knuckle looks rusty. If the mech is seized, to take it apart should be a small Allen key bolt in the B-knuckle that locks it in place.

If its not there then there should be an Allen bolt on the rear side of the cage, or it’s moulded in there and impossible to remove it but I doubt that.

Then you just have to try and remove the cage and clean and grease.

A good find at the side of the road though👍

Other thing to check, as I can't see on a phone

You say the cassette is 9 speed, make sure the levers are also 9 speed, not 8 speed

Morning all! Going to start checking out your suggestions I’ll keep you in the loop thank you all for your input <3

Yep defo 9 speed shifters :D

Didn’t get around to doing anything today as spent a few hours fighting with those damn pedals which are stuck in there I’ll have to keep hitting them with WD40 and a breaker bar over the next few days

Back