Help with SORA 3400RD

either a bent mech hanger, bent sora rear mech cage, a problem with the the wrong size chain or its worn (you need 9 speed), or a worn cassette.

but the whole sora rear mech might be buggered on the inside.

Yup, cassette looks on its way out, and the area near the b knuckle looks rusty. If the mech is seized, to take it apart should be a small Allen key bolt in the B-knuckle that locks it in place.

If its not there then there should be an Allen bolt on the rear side of the cage, or it’s moulded in there and impossible to remove it but I doubt that.

Then you just have to try and remove the cage and clean and grease.

A good find at the side of the road though👍
Sora doesn't come apart like that.

There's a plastic filler peice that you flick out then an E clip that you pull pit to separate the pivot. Pain the arse but doable.

one thing i noticed, other than all of the other sensible possible issues that have been suggested already is that the cable to the rear mech looks long, this can force the mech forward causing issues, then i noticed a slightly tighter bend in part of that cable which to me suggests you may have used brake cable outer not gear cable outer, if that is the case that will also cause you issues as brake cable outer will compress which means as you shift up the cassette the indexing will go out of alignment.

but yeah, check you compatibility, as in all 8 or all 9 speed, pull apart the B tension assembly on the mech, sometimes annoying but not that hard, make sure the gear cables are running fine and are using gear cable outer

So… finally got around to sorting it, the cage was really sized, as you can see from these images:

EAE64564-620B-4EEB-87AC-4BF90B226F48.jpeg

Excuse my toes hahaha!

C6AD17BE-BD8D-4D53-A78F-1E0C34DB300B.jpeg
D675F8C9-F44D-4DCC-A97E-4C0B1CCDCB12.jpeg
I know this mech is in reality too far gone but I wanted to keep this build cheap as can be… didn’t want to spend the extra £10-20 replacing the mech.

A blast of WD40 and 10 mins of rocking it back and fore and it’s operational again wahey!!

AE449B26-D22C-4621-B50C-0066352700EA.png

also I’ve ordered a spacer from Mavic which was £5 that allows the hub to take 9speed shimano cassettes I had noticed that the locking nut wasn’t making the best connection (I then made a shim which seemed to close the gap) although I think this spacer is designed for this issue specifically :D

Thanks all for your help and advice

PLEASURE AS ALWAYS :D

Latest posts

Back