Help thinking of buying a Carrera road bike! £269 any good??

Re: Help thinking of buying a Carrera road bike! £269 any go

Rules are for wimps! Looks like I'm going to be a rebel :)

Nothing I like more than overtaking roadies on my MTB, now I have read the rules I know why they don't like it. Man in baggy shorts going faster :)

Small cog at the back is actually a 14t, no wonder I am peddling like a nutter. I have a nice Shimano Ultegra (53, 39) coming that will sort that out.

Spuds are going on tonight and then a quick trip to A&E :)

All good fun!

Knew it was never a £600 bike but its seems ok £270. Unfortunately funds wouldn't go that far at the moment.

Thanks

Welcome fellow roadie ;)
SPD's make sense if you are switching between bikes often, although I do find the bigger platform of the SPD-SL's combined with stiffer soled road shoes to be better on longer rides.
Maybe if you have a cassette laying about you could take the 11 or 12T small cog and fit it in place of the 14T?
just enjoy riding the bike for a year or two, if you feel like upgrading at a later date then definitely look around the classifieds on all the Roadie websites, roadies are worse than mtb'ers when it comes to having "this seasons" bike, so you'll often find some good deals on little used bikes.

Clifford":1wfhokn4 said:
Knew it was never a £600 bike but its seems ok £270. Unfortunately funds wouldn't go that far at the moment.

Thanks

Fair enough - no anger aimed at you, just that Halfords are full of shit when it come to so called 'sales'

Check everything carefully. If the cable inners arent stainless steel, replace them with quality ones as soon as. The cheapies fur up very quickly. Check the spokes for tension after a few rides as they are machine built wheels and can slacken off. Check crank bolts after first few rides too.

Oh, sorry - have fun!

hi clifford, i presume you have purchased a bike with new sora? shifters with the little window and red pointer . could i be so bold as to ask your opinion of them ?

oonaff":33ghbda5 said:
hi clifford, i presume you have purchased a bike with new sora? shifters with the little window and red pointer . could i be so bold as to ask your opinion of them ?

I find the Sora with the little thumb switch on the side of the shifter a hateful thing. I think the new 9 speed Sora has double levers like the higher spec group sets.

On a side note I had a Sora front shifter with the little window and it been knocked at some point and made a buzzing noise on certain surfaces, drove me mad.

Clifford":wub91nq4 said:
Nothing I like more than overtaking roadies on my MTB, now I have read the rules I know why they don't like it. Man in baggy shorts going faster :)

I think it annoys because the guy on the MTB tends not to be in the middle of a long ride. Balance it out over 50 miles and a decent standard roadie will blow you into the weeds on average speed.

What's a good avg on a road bike? On my mtb I can avg 15.5mph over 12 miles. longest ride I did last year was 68 miles and avg 12.6 but wasn't going mad.

I've singed up for the L2B off road this year 75 miles off road :)

Clifford":3segygfw said:
What's a good avg on a road bike?

Totally variable depending on the rider and terrain. A decent fitness roadie on 60km or 100km training run would be averaging somewhere round about 20mph. It's easy on a road bike to blast it for 10km or so it's when the distances ramp up when it gets hard.

Back