Help! Newbie needs some help with an Orange P7 *Pics Added!*

The splits are known as ramps and are to assist changing on the rings

and don't worry..you won't be the first to have seen them and thought your rings were broke

sylus":1owdoans said:
The splits are known as ramps and are to assist changing on the rings

and don't worry..you won't be the first to have seen them and thought your rings were broke

Hi mate, and Mallott above, yeah I did some searching on google images and found a couple of pics which made me realise what a tit I must've looked!!

Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow guys, its a good job someone knows what they're looking at cos it ain't me...lol ;-)

Al

Hi again all, well its finally as finished as its going to get for now, till I get a pass to ride it that is! (Long Story!). Everything is as it was really, except for new grips and a few cables, just cleaned all the bits up and stripped the frame which has polished up really nice. I have new decals but don't want to stick them on till I know whether i'm going to powdercoat or not, depending on how the frame takes being raw and polished a lot. Thanks for all your help guys, its running beautifully and looks awesome naked I have to say ;-)

Al

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

Hi mate, thanks for the compliment, it does look awesome at the mo. The very small rust spots polished off really well.

Anyone know if you can fit 2.4 width tyres to these or is it best to stick to 2.0/2.2? Also has anyone tried either the Continental X-King standard wire tyres or the Schwalbe Land Cruiser? Looking to get some semi-slick tyres and these 2 look like bargains, I'm swaying towards the Continentals as they are lighter so I can add self sealing tubes which are heavier than standard. Anyone used self sealers? Not sure whether to get the Dr Sludge ones or the Slime ones.

Cheers guys!

Land cruisers are good value for money as are schwalbe city jets

Too big a tyre on a mostly road used bike creates a lot of rolling resistance and slows you down a bit. You could get another wheel set and have one already with off road tyres and another with on road tyres so just swap them over whatever your mood is

By the way, you did a grand job on the bike, looks lovely.

Cheers sylus, thought it deserved to be back in a decent state!!

Yeah looking at the inner tubes I'll get think it will have to be 2.2 which is no biggie really. I was after a semi-slick so I didn't have to get 2 wheelsets really. Might browse ebay, see what pops up.

Anyone able to advise me on the right size headset for this? I think I'm right in saying it's a 1" threaded, would a Richey logic work given that there's a cable hanger for the brakes?

Also any suspension fork suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks as ever guys!

Al

Yet more inspiration for me!

Your bike parts look IDENTICAL to mine, right down to the STX headset and Deore pedals, BUT, you've got frog brakes and a strange seatpost.

Can I ask, were your original decals red?

Hi mate, glad to see another refurb happening!

If you check the beginning of this thread you can see the original decals, which were actually black/orange, a lot of the guys on here would probably know a lot more than me about decal colours/groupsets and years etc. I have a new set that I'm waiting to apply once I decide on naked/powdercoated (geetee61 has an awesome looking orange Orange which has made me envious!!) which are the same.

As far as I'm aware everything on mine is original but as I got it second hand around 6 years ago so I've got no idea on the seatpost!!

Good luck anyway, keep us updated mate!

Al

Hi all,

I'm in 2 minds about the finish at the moment and thought I'd ask some opinions before I do something drastic!!

I love the naked look but maintaining it is going to be potentially problematic, and I don't want it to rust away before my eyes!!

So I was thinking about getting it powdercoated, then putting the decals on afterwards. So questions are, should I coat it? (I can't really justify a full respray at £100+), and if so what colour as I don't want to upset the retro police by going off spec!! I was thinking white actually, (I've seen one on here with new P7 decals and it looked mint!) should look good with the silver and black parts that are on there so far, what do you reckon blasphemy or a good call?!!

Cheers guys ;-)

Latest posts

Back