Help needed for my Holdsworth build

Tom79

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Firstly, I'm a total noob when it comes to the retro road side of things so please bear with. I'm looking to put "newer" kit onto my Holdsworth Hurricane frame as I want to use it as a bit of a touring bike/general slow cycling let's potter about in the countryside type ride.

I'm struggling to work out which groupset to use for it. I'm getting the appropriate mech hanger brazed on as part of the restoration, so I can accept modern components. Ideally I guess I'll be going for 9 or 10 speed, and Holdsworth of old always used to pair up with Campag stuff.

The tubing is 28.6mm and I need a clamp on front Mech....my thinking is Campag Veloce as it's new-ish but will also still look quite good on the frame. Just wondering if anyone else had any advice on what to go for, or am I on the right lines?

Cheers

Whats the age of the frame? The only thing to consider is the rear triangle width for the right sized rear wheel hub. If you wanted to run 9/10 speed it’ll be a 130mm wide rear and if your frame is old-ish it might need widening (which might be a good thing to get your frame builder / repairer to do unless you wanted to cold set it yourself.)
If you don’t have cable bosses on the down tube those could also be added or just use the band with a set of cable guides on that (to take the shifter cables from the front mechs onto the frame.
All do-able stuff, Campag looks great on Holdsworths (I’ve a Hurricane and a Mistral) post some pictures for more advice, sounds like a good project :)

Whats the age of the frame? The only thing to consider is the rear triangle width for the right sized rear wheel hub. If you wanted to run 9/10 speed it’ll be a 130mm wide rear and if your frame is old-ish it might need widening (which might be a good thing to get your frame builder / repairer to do unless you wanted to cold set it yourself.)
If you don’t have cable bosses on the down tube those could also be added or just use the band with a set of cable guides on that (to take the shifter cables from the front mechs onto the frame.
All do-able stuff, Campag looks great on Holdsworths (I’ve a Hurricane and a Mistral) post some pictures for more advice, sounds like a good project :)

Hey thanks for the reply - I probably should have elaborated a bit on the build/project. It's a 1959 Hurricane. It's being re-shaped/tracked so that it'll now be 130mm rear and 100mm front. I'm having the old mech hanger removed (which was only good for the Benelux 5 speed that was originally on there) and a more modern hanger brazed on. I'm having the shifter boss removed on the downtube and having a small pip installed as I will run clamp on downtube shifters. I'm also getting the front mech cable guide fitted to the BB shell for cable routing.

Had many a long consultation with the guys at Argos Cycles who are doing the work (no way I could do any of that) as to what I want to use the bike for etc. My plan is to use it regularly and so rather than get older period parts which frankly will be mostly worn and not fit for the purpose I want it for I'm going to go semi modern (i.e. something that will be newer but still have a relatively classic look).

I'll post some pics for sure but the frame is currently at the shop waiting to be worked on/painted so will post pics of the frame when back (not for a while yet). But buying up parts in advance (or trying to!).

Sounds like you’ve got this well in hand :)
What groupset bits are you looking for? Might have stuff in the parts bin I could sell on.

Sounds like you’ve got this well in hand :)
What groupset bits are you looking for? Might have stuff in the parts bin I could sell on.

So at the moment I'm focussed on trying to find a rear mech/front mech, and then a respective cassette/chain. Everything else is in hand pretty much. Just can't decide which to go for!

If you are touring, then a triple is pretty much essential. Campag doesn't like really large cassettes, so something like a 13-26 with 26/39/48 works well (have done so myself).
One issue with Campag is that the rear hubs aren't the strongest and are not really designed for loaded riding. If you are riding light then that's not a concern, but if you are planning camping touring then look for a Shimano freehub.

If you are touring, then a triple is pretty much essential. Campag doesn't like really large cassettes, so something like a 13-26 with 26/39/48 works well (have done so myself).
One issue with Campag is that the rear hubs aren't the strongest and are not really designed for loaded riding. If you are riding light then that's not a concern, but if you are planning camping touring then look for a Shimano freehub.

Good shout, having said what I said, the reality is that I'm not gonna be touring much, I will be riding light if I do it. Good call on Shimano vs Campy strength, didn't appreciate/know that.

I'd stick with Shimano hubs and wheels. The range of cassettes is better and you can fit SRAM also. Campag hubs/wheels always seem to be a minority and need special order. And the second hand market is more limited.
I also wouldn't use a triple, they look awful with lots of lateral chain cross over. That's my personal opinion only, but to me the new super compacts are the way forward. Say 46/30 with a 12,-34 will give a nice range

I'd stick with Shimano hubs and wheels. The range of cassettes is better and you can fit SRAM also. Campag hubs/wheels always seem to be a minority and need special order. And the second hand market is more limited.
I also wouldn't use a triple, they look awful with lots of lateral chain cross over. That's my personal opinion only, but to me the new super compacts are the way forward. Say 46/30 with a 12,-34 will give a nice range

Funnily enough I have seen a very nice 46/30 crankset so am keen on that. In terms of front/rear mechs, I’m guessing you’d go Shimano too if you were going Shimano hubs/cassette? 9/10 speed?

Personally, on my tourer I run a 7s triple with Shimano bar end shifters. It's bombproof. The wider hub flanges have less dish and make for a stronger rear wheel for loaded touring. 13/30 cassette with 24/38/47 chainset.
On my all-day road bike, it's 1999 Campag Chorus/Record 9 speed. Again, really solid, never needs adjustment.
Personally I avoid anything more than 9 speed as it gets tetchy and/or fragile. Yes, I am a retrogrouch.

46/30 with a 12-28 or similar sounds good to me. The only thing I wouldn't like about it is that the 30 might be too low and the 46 too high, with a big gap in between. It depends on where you live (if Sheffield or Devon it might be ideal), fitness etc.

Back