Help! Bike trainer advice needed.

setspeed

Retro Guru
I'm looking for someone to give me a few hints on how to choose a bike trainer.
I've never used one before, and I only want to use it occasionally in the winter when the weather is bad.
I'll be riding a mountain bike with 1.5"-2.0" slick tyres on it, and 135mm rear dropout spacing.
I would prefer to buy a used trainer, that doesn't cost much.
What different types are there? What functions do they have, and what features are necessary? I really don't think I need too much in the way of data capture - I just want to ride with variable resistance, and perhaps not too much noise.

Finally if you could suggest specific models that I could look for, used, on eBay or Facebook or wherever, that would be great.

Is it possible to get something worthwhile under £50? I saw new ones in Aldi recently for about £40 I think. I was going to buy it, but then realised it might be a good idea to get advice first.

I used to have a very basic Tacx with variable resistance that I used for ages with an MTB 26" wheel.
I found having a Polar HR monitor very handy - as with limited control really on resistance - I could vary intensity with cadence and work different HR zones to keep away the boredom. Staring at the same wall gets very dull. Videos of Le Tour helped - music.

Get a fan - a big fan - and a sweat bib for the bike. You will drip sweat, probably like you never have before.

I use a DJ music stand for the lappy - rather than a "proper" trainer stand - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191267225322?epid=27032780876&hash=item2c886a3eea:g:pF4AAOSwVjNhlkSe
I have it just to the side of the bars to control Zwift etc - the lappy is plugged into a TV in front of the bike.

Oh - and I think you're supposed to use a trainer tyre - rather than a normal road tyre. Summat to do with increased temps and then going pop. I've used both - but just be aware the roller will polish the tyre so you won't want to use it on the road afterwards.

I also have a Tacx Flow which is electric and varies resistance as you see fit. I've not actually used it but a friend has and said it was pretty effective - prior to us both getting Tacx Flux S - which, when linked to Zwift, is another level altogether.

If you want to try the Flow - you're welcome to borrow it.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back