Have we done home brewing yet?

Re:

You can plug both in. The instructions with the pre-built unit are very thorough and get a bit too techy - temp control theory - heating function - cooling function - dead zones etc. But it easy to set up. Mine is set at 12C with a threshold of 0.5C either side, ie. if it goes above 12.5C the cooling activates, if it goes below 11.5C the heating activates. There is the dead zone which is the time before the cooling or heating comes on, mine is set at 4 mins, this is to prevent it going on/off constantly. As it is fairly warm during the nights I have the heater un-plugged.

It probably turns the freezer on 6 times a day in this fairly warm weather we are having and that is with it in a wooden summerhouse which gets warm with the sun out. Cools down to the required temp in about 5 mins.

REKIBorter":3fsh0q6j said:
dyna-ti":3fsh0q6j said:
Unfortunately im a spirits drinker, and I think they might have a problem if I set up a still in the spare room :LOL:

http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/beginners/ ... -liqueurs/
Hmm :?
:D ill look into that cheers but my real love (and the first ever love) has to be Cider. What is the process with that ? I've scant knowledge of it but I like the idea of meat and bone being added and its aging in oak barrels.
I think if I was to take on such a project i'd want to make it following an original recipe and a traditional method.

Re:

Cider making from kits is the same as beer making, very simple. I have done a Magnum Apple Cider which was very good and am currently fermenting a Muntons Autumn Blush cider.

Making cider from apples is a bit more hit-and-miss an involves presses and expensive equipment also adding chemicals to ensure some sort of success. There is always Hard Cider, which is made from cartons of apple juice from the supermarket. Not really investigated this yet myself but maybe a project for the future.

Kits have improved greatly since I last had a go at homebrewing in the early 90s. The biggest difference is the temperatures for fermentation are much lower which gives a slower, longer and more thorough fermentation. Gone are the days of stuffing your brew in the airing cupboard.

Well it's Elderflower Champagne time. I currently have 20 gallons fermenting away. I ditched the natural yeast process and replaced it with proper champagne yeast. The idea is not to bottle it but syphon it into pressure barrels and have it on draught!

My neice makes some lovely elderflower champagne. Powerful stuff but she drinks it very young - a week after bottling - if left to condition it becomes much more refined.

In the brew house this week we have just kegged some elderflower cider, nearly finished fermenting some Midas Touch Golden Ale, just started some Aussie Lager and some Spiced Lemon Wheatbeer.

Currently drinking from the kegerator, Woodfordes NOG - amazing beer, blush cider - tasting better as it conditions and the last few bottles of Aussie Lager.

Re:

I have a question for the retrobike collective brain.

3 weeks ago i pressed apples to get 5l demi john of juice. I added 1/3 teaspoin of sodium bisulphite, left it for two days then added cider yeast

Dj is kept in living room, dunno, temp 16 deg c but no sign of fermrntation, why?

Re: Re:

02gf74":2vn867o4 said:
I have a question for the retrobike collective brain.

3 weeks ago i pressed apples to get 5l demi john of juice. I added 1/3 teaspoin of sodium bisulphite, left it for two days then added cider yeast

Dj is kept in living room, dunno, temp 16 deg c but no sign of fermrntation, why?

You want it closer to 20 Degrees, see if there's somewhere warmer to put it.
Would suggest getting some more yeast, rehydrating it in a starter, (small glass with sugar dissolved in some water), then adding.

I pressed 14 gallons of cider in 2013, 8 in 2014, and am up to 10 so far this year. Knocked my press up from scrap metal and wood.

As for homebrewing beer - anybody in East Anglia should look up the Anglia Craft Brewers.

Add some additional suger to give the yeast something to get their teeth into. Don't go too warm, airing cupboard is a big no-no.

Latest posts

Back