Have we done home brewing yet?

Re: Re:

Mr Panda":1pqc41kp said:
Bullpup":1pqc41kp said:
REKIBorter":1pqc41kp said:
Fermenting going very steadily, not too vigorous but a ryhmic stream of big gulps. Found out my fermenting bin is not very air-tight, had to wrap the seal with cling film to get it to stop leaking gas.

Hops go in Saturday.

You need to let the gas escape at this stage.

Indeed - open it every day or two when it gets going and give a good stir with a wooden spoon - it will froth up!!

This gets the CO2 out which at this stage is an unwanted by product which hampers fermentation.

Oh no don't ever do that. The wooden spoon will not be sanitary and could contaminate your beer. Just leave it alone and be patient. I assume you have an airlock? If the gas has no way to escape your fermenter will explode at some point, it probably would have happened by now.

Re:

I beg to differ. Obviously you sterilise the wooden spoon first. Tis quite easy.
Agitate the mix to expel the CO2. Really.

Mr Panda":2nq8tsmc said:
I beg to differ. Obviously you sterilise the wooden spoon first. Tis quite easy.
Agitate the mix to expel the CO2. Really.

The CO2 works if way out on its own, there is no need to stir the wort once it has been aerated. Thousands of breweries and homebrewers can't be wrong. I have never heard of stirring during fermentation until today .

A loose fitting lid is all that is required - the co2 builds up a protective curtain on top of the brew. Do not stir.

Re:

Yes have an airlock and I read somewhere that the layer of CO2 protects the brew from airborn infections so won't be opening it up unless I need to add stuff like hops.

Re:

Bitter is conditioning in the shed and cider has nearly finished first fermentation. Cider smells like rocket fuel ATM - should be good.

Re:

Bit of an update ...

Apple Cider is bottle conditioning, very clear, tastes wonderful but not as carbonated as I wanted.

Lager - Bulldog Brews Mexican Cerveza is bottle conditioning, well carbonated but needs to clear. Very good flavour - this is what lager should taste like!

Wilko Hoppy Copper Bitter - Brewed short to 20L and boosted with extra DME and sugar. Very quick to ferment fully. Has been kegged and needs to condition further but shows great promise already.

Woodfordes Sundew - in the fermenter, dry hopped with Cascade last Saturday so should be kegging this soon.

Next on the to-do list; Woodfordes Wherry

REKIBorter":3bpxelmq said:
Bit of an update ...

Wilko Hoppy Copper Bitter - Brewed short to 20L and boosted with extra DME and sugar. Very quick to ferment fully. Has been kegged and needs to condition further but shows great promise already.

OMG! This is a very good beer already. Hoppy Malty aroma, very easy to drink with nice bitterness and a hoppy finish. Excellent head retention and good carbonation. Even a slight hint of lacing going on just to tick all the boxes. Strong though, I reckon at least 6% ABV.

Re:

Woodfordes Wherry after 6 weeks conditioning. Slips down nicely

Attachments

• IMG_20150616_3536.jpg
    IMG_20150616_3536.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,858
Mine had a leaky seal! Beer is flat as a pancake but tastes good! Like a strong hoppy version of Harvey's Sussex Best

Back