Have the Tides Begun to Turn?

I can't believe you don't like it. I think it is tremendous
I do not dislike it, it is essentially just a late 80s ATB with 650b rim brake offering. I'm saying I think it's too expensive, and as I said earlier, I also find Surly too expensive, despite liking their stuff.

I think there's a tendency now to produce even more retro adjacent 4130 offerings, with similar sales mindset to Surly (versatility, inspired by geometries of the best but with more modern capabilities), but instead of competing price wise it's just all too expensive for what it is. I think the frameset looks fine, and for those that like 650b (I myself never was convinced) it's a solid option. I just wouldn't pay that much.

I do not dislike it, it is essentially just a late 80s ATB with 650b rim brake offering. I'm saying I think it's too expensive, and as I said earlier, I also find Surly too expensive, despite liking their stuff.

I think there's a tendency now to produce even more retro adjacent 4130 offerings, with similar sales mindset to Surly (versatility, inspired by geometries of the best but with more modern capabilities), but instead of competing price wise it's just all too expensive for what it is. I think the frameset looks fine, and for those that like 650b (I myself never was convinced) it's a solid option. I just wouldn't pay that much.
I do not disagree the price is high. But what else is there? Cheaper frames are heavy and hard. Other than that there are vintage bicycles, but this comes with its own set of problems. I think this is a very good offering. They are still a small business and I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been a lot more expensive. For a wider tyre, 650b may be ideal, I'd love to try it. I think I am going for the pre-order.

I do not disagree the price is high. But what else is there? Cheaper frames are heavy and hard. Other than that there are vintage bicycles, but this comes with its own set of problems. I think this is a very good offering. They are still a small business and I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been a lot more expensive. For a wider tyre, 650b may be ideal, I'd love to try it. I think I am going for the pre-order.
You have a knack for minimising my pessimism

Right okay:

There aren't many great alternatives, if any. Price is still too high but I suppose we have to consider that they're a smaller business.

It's fair.

I still think I'd prefer a custom build from Marino bikes to this, which wouldn't be an awful lot more.

Which leads me to my plans, one day when I financially recover I'll send all the measurements of my cross check and get a very similarly designed frame but with clearance for 2.8s so I can realise my wet dream of a road adjacent frame that can handle proper fat tyres

So...on Radavist there is a review of the Otso Fenrir Ti. The long term reviewer doesn't look like she needs a good bath and her bike doesn't look like you need to check your tetanus jab date, before working on it.

https://theradavist.com/otso-titanium-fenrir-review/

I broke my rule of not reading as scrolling the pics i saw ATB being defined. Just go down the page until you see...

What’s in a Name: The ATB Conundrum​

....and then all we be explained. You will be much wiser. I guess the Strade Bianche bikes are just STB(Some Terrain Bikes) then, or maybe ANQATB+ (Ackshully Not Quite All Terrain Bikes plus) if you like word salads.

Russ at the Path Less Pedaled vlog has been talking ATB for a year or so now. When he saw where "gravel" bikes were going he started fiddling with bikes that still had the vibe of the early non-racy gravel bikes and started calling them ATB. When I was getting interested in bikes as an adult ATB and MTB seemed to be used interchangeably for a while and then MTB took over as the standard term for fat tire bikes for riding off roads - ie those late 80's / early 90's mountain bikes I love.

Interesting comments on Surly's - maybe they are a lot more expensive in Europe. Here they look like pretty good value compared to similar products using fancier tube sets from other manufacturers like Soma, Allcity, etc.

Russ at the Path Less Pedaled vlog has been talking ATB for a year or so now. When he saw where "gravel" bikes were going he started fiddling with bikes that still had the vibe of the early non-racy gravel bikes and started calling them ATB. When I was getting interested in bikes as an adult ATB and MTB seemed to be used interchangeably for a while and then MTB took over as the standard term for fat tire bikes for riding off roads - ie those late 80's / early 90's mountain bikes I love.

Interesting comments on Surly's - maybe they are a lot more expensive in Europe. Here they look like pretty good value compared to similar products using fancier tube sets from other manufacturers like Soma, Allcity, etc.
Yes, Russ is definitely at the forefront of reclaiming ATB. I use it to describe my bikes now as well.

Surly's are less affordable in EU, yep. Still think they're a bit too expensive for a foreign production frameset of basic 4130.

And I am a surly fanboy

Back