Wanted Early 90s Steel Rigid North American full bike 17" ideally Sussex/ South East

Tommy27

Retro Guru
Been thinking/ planning for ages for this! Having finally moved into a place with a garage to store all our bikes I now have room to store all my bikes. Which means I can finally get a Mountain Bike again.

The wants list is probably the following...
- Decent tubing Tange Prestige or True Temper
- US/ Canadian Brand. The reasoning behind this is all our Bikes are European made at the moment. @Tootyred has definitely got me thinking about Marin since they seem to be good value for money, but have also thought about a Joe Murray designed Kona and a KHS Montana amongst others?
- Rack Mounts, will be used for light off road touring
- XT Groupset?
- Standish headset, I.e. Seem to remember some of the Gary Fishers are weird
- Fully Rigid
- Full setup, I have some cognitive issues that can make heavy duty mechanics difficult, but don't affect me on the bike.

In terms of terrain will be Downslink/ South Downs Way/ Local Bridleways mostly. Certainly not anything you couldn't do on a gravel bike.

I have a KHS Montana Pro from the mid nineties that I need to sell on, True Temper OX IIRC. It was something of a lockdown project but I've not ridden it in anger since building it!

It's a really nice spec, mostly XT, Magura Racelines and more. Currently it's wearing a pair of Bomber Superfly forks but I do have a rigid fork that will probably work well.

Ping me a message if you're interested :)

Back