Has anyone tried making their own bike from scratch?

Possibly this guy :LOL:

untitled_166.jpg

To be honest I can't remember that much; it was a long time ago!!
It was 3 days long and there were 3 others on the course at the time. We could choose a frameset of tubes[I chose the VERY new Reynolds 531 atb set!], and we were allowed to design and build a lugged frame; except of course I wanted to be different and did a wierd lugless idea based on a Rocky Mountain design I had seen in MBA with very short chainstays[for the time], under-bracket Rollercam and dropped top tube etc. We were taught how to prepare the tubes, braze and finish them etc.
The frame is still going but the fork blades became loose in the [tandem]crown so it has a set of period Bob Jackson forks. I will try to dig it out again; I took it to MM08 but I think it could do with a bit of resto!! ;)

Never built a bike, although i've often thought about it, too busy at the moment making cars for people.

ATB

John

B3":2zb6k2pp said:
Never built a bike, although i've often thought about it, too busy at the moment making cars for people.

reads sig.

OOH. *bookmarks website*. I've been looking for chasis manufacturers for a locost build. It's a few years off (no car accessible garage at current house), but good to know there are UK builders selling them.

Sorry for the massive OT guys.

Build your own bike!

my LBS refuses to sell me tools,as i have damaged so much stuff over the years! Thanks lads. You've saved me loads of money.

Al. :D

ps Don't tell the boss! ;)

mazdaman1980":3j82wagg said:
Just a thought, do you mean a pressed bb like with Kleins??

No - the FAG units mentioned have cups that are threaded onto the BB cartridge itself and so don't need threads in the frame. The cups simply screw tight up to the BB shell to lock in.

FAG! :LOL: I originally thought that was American-speak for a crap or knackered BB (as in the way kids call everything they don't like or understand 'gay'!)

Back