Has anyone tried making their own bike from scratch?

you don't need a jig to achieve decent results and all the special tools are readily available at any better bike shop for a small fee. has been done before on a budget and is no rocket science anyways.

read the afore mentioned forum to avoid the typical beginners mistakes but don't expect a perfect first frame. but you can build one that can be ridden and may even last a while ;)

Carsten

You could perhaps solve the b/b threading issue buy using one of the b/b that doesn't require threads (designed so that they could be used in frames with damaged threads). FAG and Mavic used to do them in the day, not sure who does now.

mazdaman1980":6pna53sk said:
Thanks for the heads up Andy R, i will be going ahead no question. The jig is an interesting point but one easily got round by my partners dad as he is looking into this for me but your point about the bb definately does require some further thought but i will definately follow up and do this.

A suggestion for the BB shell then, if I may? I'd screwcut it on a lathe - you'll have it set up there to face it to length anyway (and probably to bore it out to the correct size for threading). Maybe leave the threads slightly undersize and then when you've finished the welding or brazing beg, borrow or steal a BB chaser just to clean the last few thou. out.
Threading it in the lathe will be by far the easiest way of ensuring that it's threaded square.

Thank you ernestrome, i have just enquired about attending for the course that singletrack did as it will be a better initial investment early in my course. I should end up with some very interesting bikes worthy of my name: Osprey Bikes. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Justbackdated, how long did it last and what did you learn if you dont mind my asking? Also what did it cost?

Do you have any pics???

Done a few, many repairs, the odd recumbent and disabled special, the odd rollcage, hovercraft and racecar and bike parts.

You often tend to sit in one of two camps, machinest or fabricator, and I'll be the first to admit my TiG ain't great (but fillet brazing is outstanding), I'm defo more the machinist and have done quite a few billet parts. I really do keep meaning to get pix. . . I'll try and pop something up in readers parts over the yule. . ;)

Back