Harry Hill's 1954 AS Gillott (Ron Cooper Frame)

Re:

The cable stops are a bit of a mystery. Hadn't spotted that one of them was on the seat tube, which of course rules out Sturmey.

I don't know of a front mech of that era that is top pull, but I guess it wouldn't be beyond the wit of man to adapt one to work that way.

My '52 Gillott has the extra cable stops on the top tube only (I assume for a hub gear).

Re: 1954 AS Gillott Frame?

As previous, Cyclo front changer, I used one in the early 50s, Probably was part of the Benelux range.

Just see the SA pulley under the seat lug.

Attachments

• 1952L_Vince3.jpg
    1952L_Vince3.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 965

That is unusual. Even more so with the ball-ended Cyclo bar end levers on the South of France style bars, seen here with the left lever operating the rear changer, so 'wrong' way round.

What frame is it? Can't quite make out the lettering but it looks like Leo Vince. Not a make that I know of.

It's a wonderfully evocative picture.

Re:

We always regarded Gillott as a very top class frame, but this one was obviously built for a road racer which meant BLRC (as I was) not NCU.

Picture above in 1952 is my Les Vince, Walcot St Bath, cast lugs etc. The front changer is in Brown Brothers 1952 Catalogue page 55, and came with handlebar control. No double down tube levers then. Note that to make them work the cables had to be loose not taped into the handlbar.

The rear hub was a rare Harden freewheel hub, with Cyclo 5 speed cogs made for freeewheel hubs.

The 5 cogs and 2 chainrings would give 10 evenly spaced gears, but to get the next close ratio would alternately need to change both front and rear. So you see why handlebar controls were used. Try changing both at once with frozen hands on a double downtube lever.

"South of France" bars were a lot smaller, nothing like the bars used by Rene Vietto and Apo Lazarides.

I seem to be off topic again

Keith

It's always good to drift off topic now and again. It's what makes these threads so interesting, the personal anecdotes and knowledge being passed on and gained.
A really lovely photo.

Jamie

Re:

Thank you Jamie, but you really shouldn't encourage me. I keep being reminded of things I thought I had forgotten.
Just hope my failing memory is still accurate enough.

Keith

Keith, I also encourage your recollections. In this case, the Cyclo catalogue (p14) has the shift cables being taped under a section of the handlebar tape where your bike no doubt reflects what actually worked better.

And pleased to see the full bike, and not just a section
and how did the Pennine pump lever not get lost? It looks like it is unrestrained.

It would be so informative for you to take that one photo, and start a thread and talking through each component, what worked, what didn't, why it was chosen.

Yes, the Cyclo bar end levers do work okay with the cable taped underneath the bar tape. I have one on the left side of the handlebars on a Bates, operating a Simplex front changer (downward pull) as it only has a braze-on for one down tube gear lever, but the action is quite heavy, so I am sure it would work better had it been outside the bar tape, as on Keith's bike.

Wheelnut,
I was also running a Benelux rear gear which would not reach the low gear particularly in the wet if there was any resistance in the cable. Bear in mind 1n 1950 I covered about 15000 miles in all weathers.
It all had to be practical rather than purely for appearance.

Keith

Re:

Hi guys apologies for my absence....life etc etc.
(Pretty awesome to read the comments to date....it brings the period to life first hand..

Answering a few questions:
Frame Size:
I measured it at 24"

Is there another cable stop lower down on the seat tube or just the one at the top?
Nope just the one at the top.

Rear Dropouts images...

On an additional subject and re this sticker:

I spoke on the phone to Chris Shields, son of Gerry Shields, a week or so back.
Chris very kindly spoke to his Father, Gerry who started the shop back in 1948.

Mr Gerry Shields, who is now well into his eighties and still riding his bike almost every day.

"Gerry Shields was a formidable and successful racing cyclist in the 1940's and 50's and found himself competing against some of the top riders of the day including the late “great” Reg Harris, who's Carlton Track Bike is on display at our store"

http://www.gerryshieldscycles.co.uk/about.html

Chris took time out of his schedule to report back on my inquiry regarding his bicycle.

"I spoke with my dad about your Gillott bicycle. He confirmed, in it's day it was a classy bike. As expected, he didn't know who the owner of the bike may have been originally. He also said it was likely that he would have sold just the frame for the owner to build up into a bike. In those days of purchase tax, it was far more cost effective to buy a quality bike in separate parts. The tax was only due if the bike was sold as a complete bike. Sorry we can't shed any more light on your bike. Hopefully it will give many more years of riding pleasure.

Best regards, Chris Shields"

This was an interesting snippet regarding the possible builds available post frame delivery?
I'll leave others to comment on this.

In the meantime, I am in the process of identifying the owner, via the British Library and electoral registers from the mid Fifties....

This might take a wee while as it can only be done in person in London.

I've decided that I will be renovating the bicycle. I use it every single day and have to report that I love riding it.
What direction I'll be taking in the renovation I haven't decided yet.

I'm hoping to get a steer from those on this site..
(I guess it will turn into a new post when that starts).

Regards

Sand Dune.

:)

Attachments

• dropouts.jpg
    dropouts.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 821
  • tube markings.jpg
    tube markings.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 821
  • Gerry Shields.jpg
    Gerry Shields.jpg