Harry Hill's 1954 AS Gillott (Ron Cooper Frame)

Re:

Very nice. I bet you could fit some fairly wide tyres on that now as you've moved from 27" to 700c, Gravel bike style

Re:

There is space for wider tyres for sure...

I'm a bit of a road bloke though to be honest and going gravel, or even tracks/trails.....my bike is just a bit too shiney and nice for that.

Update and a question regarding Brooks saddles....

Been riding the Blue Gillott quite a lot. It is my main method of transport after all. It is silky smooth on the road - just fantastic. The bike absorbs all the bumps of a rough road surface....Like riding in a Cadillac. It's very nice.

It's taken a wee while to adjust the set up of the saddle and the bars so it suits. I think I am nearly there. I just need to sort out a sore(ish) backside (perineum). It's not that bad... When I've been out for the 90 minute mark or so, I can feel it ever so slightly. The handlebars are a little lower than I have had them in the past and I guess I still have some opportunity to do some tiny adjustments here and there with saddle and bar positions.

I have been looking at modern saddles and they appear to have a recess cut out of the saddle that relieves the affected area. Never had this problem before though. And I am not putting a modern saddle on this bike anyways! <see my signature>

This leads me on to a question:
The old Brooks saddle on the Red Gillott was really comfortable. To be fair it is 64 years old.
Has anyone got any experience of new brooks saddles, Do they require time to fit your backside?

Ta

Sand Dune

Re:

Just keep pedalling, it will break in and get comfortable. I found my b17 to take significantly longer to break in than a swift or swallow. What I have found with road bikes that have the bars lower than the saddle is that the b17 is a bit wide, the swallow works much better for me. On a more upright bike, the b17 comes into its own

Re:

Just wanted to say Sand-Dune that I've been admiring your Gillott this morning- what an amazing job you have done on it! I love the way the bike has come together using old and new components and the Athena groupset looks perfect on this bike. Lots of challenges along the way but you seem to have overcome these. As they say in France- Chapeau!

I don't think I read this thread last time round. Amazing detective work and what a find! So, any progress with the red bike?

Re:

I'll be putting the Blue Gillot up for sale (perfect workign order and as mint as it was in the photos plus a couple of thousand kms) and the red Gillot frame up for sale shortly...

Any serious offers considered.

Cheers

Sand_Dune

Latest posts

Back