Had my first retro ride in about 5 years yesterday..

Re: Re:

Johnboy":3pf2r9s8 said:
Up until a few years ago I probably would never have even considered an e bike. But I'm a little bit older than the average on here and from a purely personal standpoint I can see them prolonging my cycling life and making it possible for me to access areas that I will find increasingly inaccessible as I grow older (currently anything with a 1 in 50 gradient leading to it :LOL:). Me as an 80 year old on an e-bike, imagine the carnage.

I'm not so puritanical about these things, and as age and injuries creep up on us, they do offer an undeniable attraction.

I agree with KeepItSteel in that they will only become more commonplace. Imagine in 10 years when the batteries are smaller and more efficient and you can do away with the ugly looking down tubes. Ban cars from city centres and it would make a lot of sense on a societal level.

I guess I see things unfolding like the audio market — mp3s and digital files have revolutionised the last 20 years, although vinyl never goes away. Unprocessed quality will always be paramount for a small group of core users, but you can't ignore the convenience.

Gaddmeister":2jforwfx said:
Doesn't an ebike defeat the object?? May as well buy a motor bike. Also how does it help you get fit?

What object? I'm sure we all cycle for different reasons. As far as I'm aware these offer assistance you still have to pedal. All I'm saying is that in my dotage it may well enable me to increase my range or make more trails accessible to me. I wont have the powerful muscular legs I have now (Ok I might be pushing things a little there).

Precisely - its only a few who will forever lambaste the e-bike as a sacrilegious object, but IMO they are missing the point entirely.

If you prefer to flog yourself up the hills, by all means, go ahead (no pain - no gain etc) - but technology is catching up and creating a brand new genre. Surely its better to welcome all riders to the trails? (and as mentioned above, it could ultimately result in a mass exodus of cars on the road).

I was passed by a couple of older fellas on e-bikes going up a hill the other night, one actually apologised!
I am just happy to see people out and about in the fresh air - away from the god-forsaken TV.
Also, spurred me on to see if I could keep up with them regardless..

(I couldn't)

Re:

LOL at the people who have never ridden a modern full suss saying there's no need for 'em! :facepalm: Ride one then make a decision.

No fan of E-Bikes but my work pal has one. You still need to put in effort, especially in the normal settings so will still improve fitness. Not my bag though.

KeepItSteel":4e3tvo6o said:
I was beginning to wonder if half this lot would prefer to ride penny farthings :)

How dare you Sir! Take that back immediately or I shall be forced to engage in fisticuffs with you, there's nothing wrong with a penny farthing.

Gaddmeister":2te7twqn said:
Might struggle to get tyres!
In a few years teh e-bikes will have that size wheel.

Ebikes will cause problems on the trails, bridleways etc, no doubt about it.
People are already derestricting them and riding them (illegally) off road and on road.
The sooner you think of them as motorbikes/scooter the better. Some laws can get 'properly' put in place.

Re:

Think of all the break downs on the trails. The AA will have to invest in ebike to come and sort the breakdowns!

Back