Had my first retro ride in about 5 years yesterday..

Re:

Good point Fluff.
And I agree, I go at my own pace and thats the right attitude. However, i like the pace that modern geometry and suspension affords me - although it's still nowhere near as fast as most! :)

Actuslly, strava is a good marker here. My uphill times are usually within the lower 20%, but being a heavy chap that's willing to push on a bit (in the right conditions!) my downhill times are usually in the upper third.. gravity is my friend (it's a love/hate relationship).
Perhaps that's why I would naturally prefer longer travel and fatter tyres.
I wholeheartedly agree though, just to travel along at my Konas pace is rewarding enough.

Glad your explosif is seeing good use! I'd love another of those frames at some point

Re:

Old Konas are particularly flighty, way more than any other retro I've ridden. When you're concentrating that's great, but they can be a handful when you're tired - which is the opposite of a modern bike which is more forgiving.

Each has thier own place / qualities which is why we all need more than one bike. :)

Glad to see you back on a retro mtb.

SP

Re:

My Kona(s) is a big comfy sofa compared to my other bikes.
Easy to bimble on it it for ages.
But then I don't ride smaller framed than I really should, I go for the larger one if possible.

(On retro where I do have an inch smaller at the smaller end of my size, they become an arse when tyres, great for a short fast blast, but not for bimbles.)

Re: Re:

Gaddmeister":1wxm9zrx said:
shinobi":1wxm9zrx said:
I had much the same experience :LOL:

Great handling bike and surprisingly light but I did find myself on a root strewn descent and genuinely felt like I was hanging on for grim death :LOL:
Use your body as suspension, move with the bumps. Retro really doesn't bother me. Its how I learned to ride as a lad and always will. I suppose I will get around to trying a modern bike one day to see what it's like?

Thats the key right there. Use your body as suspension. Once you have that mastered theres nothing better. I too have never rode a full suspension bike.

Attachments

• IMG_1223.JPG
    IMG_1223.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 469
Re:

On a ride last month I had the chance to have a little go on a Giant E Bike (full sus/electric). Very plush ride, and the motor is pedal activated so you don't feel it kick in. Just a really smooth boost when you're already pedalling and you can choose one of 3 power settings.

Got to say it was quite a bizarre experience — you can pretty much point the bike anywhere and sit in cruise control. Over a long ride I can see the advantages comfort-wise, but it was definitely a case of the bike taking you for a ride rather than the other way round. I guess it is the future, but like so many promises of progress... is it actually 'better'?

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding a '93 Kona Mysterion© I picked up last year and adding some modern concessions. I find downhills tend to shake up old war wounds, but still, it doesn't feel right to be so comfy.

Attachments

• Full-E-plus-2-Black-green.jpg
    Full-E-plus-2-Black-green.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 431
I bought a modern full sus last year to help with back pain and find now that i can go out on my rigid and ride further than before my back problems.
I did opt for a cross country full sussser with only 100mm all round so i still have to ride it and not be taken for a ride.

Re: Re:

Boron":qpcqxof1 said:
On a ride last month I had the chance to have a little go on a Giant E Bike (full sus/electric). Very plush ride, and the motor is pedal activated so you don't feel it kick in. Just a really smooth boost when you're already pedalling and you can choose one of 3 power settings.

Got to say it was quite a bizarre experience — you can pretty much point the bike anywhere and sit in cruise control. Over a long ride I can see the advantages comfort-wise, but it was definitely a case of the bike taking you for a ride rather than the other way round. I guess it is the future, but like so many promises of progress... is it actually 'better'?

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding a '93 Kona Mysterion© I picked up last year and adding some modern concessions. I find downhills tend to shake up old war wounds, but still, it doesn't feel right to be so comfy.

Up until a few years ago I probably would never have even considered an e bike. But I'm a little bit older than the average on here and from a purely personal standpoint I can see them prolonging my cycling life and making it possible for me to access areas that I will find increasingly inaccessible as I grow older (currently anything with a 1 in 50 gradient leading to it :LOL:). Me as an 80 year old on an e-bike, imagine the carnage.

Re:

E-bikes understandably are a bone of contention for many fans of traditional bikes, but the simple fact is that they open doors (or trails) to those that may not be able to reach without - and they also provide the ability to travel further, faster, without the need for uplift services.

They aren't ant better or worse, just different.

Like it or not, they will feature large in the future. I believe that non e-bike riders will be in a minority during my life time

Re:

That's very sad in my opinion. Cycling should be a sport to build fitness and techniques not just sit on and ride. I will be shocked if it does become the majority?

Back