Had my first retro ride in about 5 years yesterday..

Re:

Modern tyres and M950 V brakes, nothing else you need! That should give enough grip and stopping power. Modern drive trains aren't more efficient, suspension is only a nice to have, body position you can alter with shorter stem or bar ends, other moving parts such as headset or bottom bracket are new no better than 30 years ago.

Re:

You're half way to a modern bikeby that point though :)

I much prefer modern through axle interfaces too, never liked square taper. Also finding more BB flex on the Kona - I assume the skinny tube profiles don't help here

Re:

I had much the same experience :LOL:

Great handling bike and surprisingly light but I did find myself on a root strewn descent and genuinely felt like I was hanging on for grim death :LOL:

Re: Re:

shinobi":21xvt1le said:
I had much the same experience :LOL:

Great handling bike and surprisingly light but I did find myself on a root strewn descent and genuinely felt like I was hanging on for grim death :LOL:
Use your body as suspension, move with the bumps. Retro really doesn't bother me. Its how I learned to ride as a lad and always will. I suppose I will get around to trying a modern bike one day to see what it's like?

Re:

Dont get me wrong, I was riding retro back in the 90's like the rest of us oldies, I just haven't done so for years following the comfort and efficiency of modern bikes.
Slinging my leg over a retro this week was a stark reminder of how things have changed

Re:

I'd rather feel the bike than be transported over rough terrain in bliss. I felt my mk1 golf Fit and Renault 5 gr8 turbo back in the early 90's modern hot hatches do it all for you! No skill needed. I don't feel beat up riding retro, I beat most of my mates on their "modern bikes" downhill. Its all about looking ahead and choosing your line?

Re:

I've never ridden full suss, but I love a good 120-140mm fork - I struggle to keep up with full sussers on hairy downhill runs, I couldn't ever see me getting a strava PB downhill on my rigid retro - not saying it wouldn't be fun (and terrifying) trying though!

I have never ridden a modern bike unless a 2000 Scott Comp Pro counts. The only suspension I've used has been 60-70mm.
Not sure I want to. I quite like the feeling of getting off my bikes and knowing I have gone for a ride and feeling I've done some exercise-the whole body that is!

Re: Re:

KeepItSteel":1ieo72k0 said:
I've never ridden full suss, but I love a good 120-140mm fork - I struggle to keep up with full sussers on hairy downhill runs, I couldn't ever see me getting a strava PB downhill on my rigid retro - not saying it wouldn't be fun (and terrifying) trying though!
You see,I see no need to keep up, I just go my own speed and enjoy. They can wait if they want. I know I have fun going downhill on my bikes... And up and across and along and sideways and (rarely) over ;-)

/me still riding that 'green' 97 explosif frame you sold me over 5 years ago.

Back