Guidance please - Marin Muirwood rebuild

markwoollard

Retro Newbie
Hi Everyone,

Well, my '93 Muirwood is back from the spray shop & looking pretty slick in my opinion :cool:

It terms of my rebuild, when refitting brakes, bottom brackets, stem etc - should i be using some locktite glue on the threads so things don't wiggle loose? Sorry if this is an obvious question!

And then with things like cranksets, BB and stuff - should i be adding any anti-seize "ingredients" into these kinds of things when i am re-assembling?

I really don't want things to start falling off once i am riding this beauty again :|

Feel free to give ANY advice, tips & tricks on rebuilds here... i'm really new to this process!

Attachments

• Marin progress 24.09.20.JPG
    Marin progress 24.09.20.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 412
Re:

I dare say nobody on here keeps a bike long enough, or keeps a build the same, for long enough time for anything to seize up. :LOL: it's the ebay and carboot purchases that cause bother.

Anyway, canti bolts may benefit from a tiny dob of threadlock, not essential though.
Make sure they are nipped up well. And regularly checked, as you would anyway.
On a nice day I will go round critical points with Allen keys. Takes a minute. Maybe once every 2 months or 200 miles (which ever comes first) in car dealership terms.

Bottom bracket....I'm expecting a different opinion but, for me, a smear of general purpose grease, on the threads, just a smear! Will help the installation and help with anti seize anyway. If you have the bike and same bottom bracket in ten years, it maybe a little stubborn.

Rear mech, just dry.

Headset threads, dry also.

I just use regular grease on all threads, seems to stop anything seizing up.

You can usually hear or feel when something is loose, though if you tighten everything up properly then you shouldn't really have that problem. Like above, just check them now and again.

Copper anti-seize on bottom bracket threads for me, grease on everything else. I don't see the point of threadlock on cantis, in 30 years I have never had one loosen. I do use threadlock on things like rack and mudguard bolts.

And of course plenty of grease on the seatpost. One wet winter can cause one to seize.

mk one":2z4rgulp said:

You can usually hear or feel when something is loose, though if you tighten everything up properly then you shouldn't really have that problem. Like above, just check them now and again.

Should I be "investing" in a torque wrench for this sort of stuff? Or will i get away with just tightening things good & tight using allen keys/screwdrivers etc.

Not zalatone but looks quite nice :D

In some places I use to put a thread lock, like in disc bolts and adaptors. But in clasic bicycles usually doesn´t need that.

To avoid noises etc from the BB, you can use teflon. Locks the BB and it is better than a threadlock.

4134CWcUSwL._AC_.jpg

markwoollard":ldkoa0gl said:
mk one":ldkoa0gl said:

Should I be "investing" in a torque wrench for this sort of stuff? Or will i get away with just tightening things good & tight using allen keys/screwdrivers etc.

That is a good question. Personally i have never used a Torque wrench, though i have tightened bolts for years and have a fairly good 'feel' for the correct tightness. However, i have seen plenty of bikes and components where people obviously didn't know the correct tightness. There are a few different materials in components and all require slightly different approaches regarding force and feel. So, for a beginner who is assembling a bike i do not think it is a bad idea to use a torque wrench, for peace of mind if nothing else.

madjh":1ugesoux said:
Not zalatone but looks quite nice :D

In some places I use to put a thread lock, like in disc bolts and adaptors. But in clasic bicycles usually doesn´t need that.

To avoid noises etc from the BB, you can use teflon. Locks the BB and it is better than a threadlock.

You don't need threadlock on a BB unless it's Italian threading. The thread direction is specifically designed that pedalling forces through the bearing will tighten it.

Re:

If you want to prevent things seizing up, use copper slip on threads. I use it everywhere and never had a stuck bolt/thread or had anything come loose. Bbs, brake, bottle bolts, mechs, chain ring bolts etc. It takes seconds and will help you in the long run.

Never used threadlock on anything other than disc rotor bolts.

Torque wrench, I use them on some things like ht2 crank bolts or when carbon is involved, but generally have the feel for when something is tight. Can't hurt to use one if you have one.

I've not used the ptfe tape mentioned other than for plumbing as thought it was designed to help seal threads. You don't need that on a bike, but it may help as a threadlock and as ptfe is self lubricating, should help stop things seizing.

Back