GT XIZANG yay!!! cracks everywhere boooo

What reason is there any failed Ti frame that's lets go in the headtube weld should be un-repairable?

Unless the tubes are so bent they would need cutting out and replacing, making it uneconomic to repair. I've never seen any Ti frame elongate at at a weld break so it would be unsafe to re-weld, and i've seen an awful lot of welded Ti. They all brittle fail due to loading way above yield.

Unlike steel frames, and certainly unlike lugged ones at least they are welded up with welding rods of the same material as the tubes. With correct heat treatment after the weld there is absolutely no structural difference between the weld and none welded area on a ti frame.

You don't suffer weld pooling on Ti like you do on Tig welded alloy frames and the strength of the joint is solely down to the contact area and flow between the butts.

Weight for weight a TI frame will out perform and outlast any steel frame. Sure they take more skill to assemble, but that's no reason to knock them just because your skill level stops at lugged and brazed frames.

Please don't get snobby, with some bullshit exclusivity that says lugged frames from the 50's are better and more genuinely retro than mass produced or boutique stuff from the eighties and onwards, it just makes you look like a prick. This website caters for all faiths and flavours and none is better than any other.

Well, that was interesting...kinda. I like gm and all his GT goodness, he has stored away, selling it bit by bit :)

and in regards to this hurting frame, someone must have thought it somewhat valuable as it sold for nearly $225.

Back