GT Tequesta replacement part needed

AJ34

Retro Newbie
Any idea where I might obtain a part for an early 1990's GT Tequesta? Specifically, I'm after a rear brake lug/post that (appears to) screw into the rear frame stays. The rear brake arms fit onto these lugs/posts and I think one might be very slightly bent. Thanks.

Lots of sources for brake posts but you need to know the thread size you need if it is threaded. Does it have 2 flats you can get a spanner on near the bottom of the post? I would have thought they were welded together on a steel frame but I can't be sure without seeing it.

Does it have 2 flats you can get a spanner on near the bottom of the post?
Unfortunately not. Smooth cylindrical post all the way into the frame fixing. I can't be certain these posts are threaded (rather than welded) although I've been told it's most likely on this bike.

Sorry for the delay - thought I had time to dismantle the brakes and measure up the posts yesterday, but life has a habit of getting in the way.

I should have time tomorrow, however, I can only measure diameter of post (accurately) and estimate it's length because the post disappears into a fitting on the rear frame stay. There are however a couple of small holes in the frame fixing point which might help me get quite an accurate estimate. Thread size is anybodies guess and I'm reluctant to attempt to unscrew the post as I think I will damage it - and that's assuming the post is threaded. Will see tomorrow.

I think I've only seen threaded brake posts in frames made of anything other than steel. How bent is it? Can you upload some pictures?

How bent is it? Can you upload some pictures?
I can't see an obvious bend but the post appears to be very, very slightly out of alignment. I can't be sure if the post has a marginal bend or whether the problem is with the frame fixing point. Will have time later this afternoon to disassemble rear brake and take photos (brake assembled and brake dismantled).

To try and put this "mis-alignment" into perspective, I'd say no-one would spot the problem if they examined the stripped down frame. The issue only comes to light when the rear brakes are fitted up and one notices that the brake block doesn't sit flush onto the rim. One end of the right side brake block sits around 2 or 3 mm (not a precise measurement) from the rim when the other end of the same brake block is in contact with the rim.

I'll take photos but unsure if any photo will capture the problem - we'll see.

If you are planning to replace the part, you'll need to remove the old one. To get the right part you'll need to remove the old one (to getvthe correct thread etc.). So dive in now and remove it.

Edit. But if there are no flats to attach a spanner to then it's not replaceable I'd suggest....

One end of the right side brake block sits around 2 or 3 mm (not a precise measurement) from the rim when the other end of the same brake block is in contact with the rim.
Does it just need the brake shoe adjusting?

Back