gt sts and disc brakes - options for cable routing?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Having finished my sts with v brakes, I find myself in a position of having bought some disc brakes and wheels that I'd like to give a chance on the sts.

My sts has the internal cable routing so no way to route the hydraulic hose (I'm not planning on drilling the frame). Any thoughts on how I can get around this? Seen sticky options, but would these be bad for the thermoplastic?

Also, what can I do with the empty cable run? I could just pull out the cable, but it would be a nightmare to run it again at a later date. In an ideal world I want a new front end with the external cable run, but that would be crazy wouldn't it? Though I'd be more than happy to entertain it if I can find just a front end at the right price or as a trade against something I have.

if I took the cable out, is it worth blanking the holes off to prevent crud getting in the frame?

Another issue is the rear disc mount. I do have a rear stay with what I think are the right holes to fit an adapter, but I can only find these in the states and was hoping to find them closer to home. I don't want to run an a2z unless there are merits in doing this.

Re:

Hi mate.
Regarding rear mount for disc, what about the Hope system that uses the torque arm from canti mount and caliper that mounts on hub axle?
I don't see any problems with using the sticky zip tie holders on the thermo frame, the glue should be fine I recon.
As for the cable runs, not sure on that, I'll look at mine, see if anything pops into my head. :)

Niall.

Cheers Niall. I stupidly forgot to keep an eye on the cables during the build and removed one, so I know it can be threaded back through the frame, it's just a hassle. I also don't really want anything rattling around, as it's most likely to work loose anyway and get lost inside the frame.

I think the sticky zip tie holders will be fine, it's a shame in some ways to ruin the graceful lines the internal routing allows, but I have decided to have a go at disc brakes, as all my builds run vs these days, so want to create a bit of variety. If I don't like it, I'll try and find another frame to disc up and perhaps part with something to make space.

I'm not keen on the torque arm, it's kind of a work around rather than a solution, and I'm trying to put as much effort into making this as goof as I can, and going down that route to me at least, seems like a compromise.

I have seen the original disk adapters for sale in the states, I might have to bite the bullet and get one sent over.

The other option is to let Barney keep the money and let him give me the wheels. As a sort of present from you to me just cos it's a Saturday.

Re:

Hope's Torque arm doesn't work on that frame anyway. They made a specific kit for the rear end, but it required a specific calliper and rear hub.
Seen lots of builds on here with the a2z kit and most folks are happy. My disc hose routing was always a bit messy, I used a couple of narrow zip ties. The stick on guides should work fine and be a lot neater. I think you could also make some neat guides out of that Sugru stuff. Never used it myself though.
As for the old cables, did you route a liner in the tube or are you just using ferrules to guide the inner? When I ran disks I took out the liner so there was nothing to rattle. The front guide hole I plugged with a cable ferrule filled with plasticine to reinforce and seal it and inserted the wrong way to normal. The rear hole I used a cable end cap inserted in the hole and sealed with a bit of rubber glue. Both are easy to remove when needed.

i used a hope number 2 caliper on a couple of my sts frames and gfs sts has a betd adapter workin with it

on the cable run i drilled out the guides for the cable and ran both the gears and hope hose through the frame with no issues

on the gear cable was complete bit of outer from shifter to seatstay

made the bike look complete and have no cables running on the outside of the frame

Cheers for the feedback, any pics of the solutions mentioned? If I drill the frame, is there any going back to vs aside from running a full length outer? Is this actually a bad thing anyway as the cable is shielded all the way along then isn't it?

In terms of adapter for running disc, I could use an a2z as I have one, but I believe that the holes in the drop out on my rear are for a disc brake adapter which will then allow any brake to be run. Is this the case or are the holes for some other purpose?

Logic.Al":2277cn96 said:
The other option is to let Barney keep the money and let him give me the wheels. As a sort of present from you to me just cos it's a Saturday.
It could be an expensive experiment, so if I don't like how it turns out, I'll let you know.

No issues goin back to vbrakes jus run full outer which isn't a issue I was running Clarks no flex stuff so made everything much tighter

No pics as I'm on my iPhone but can send u pics via txt of gfs sts with brake adapter ?

ba57ards":vy05666z said:
No issues goin back to vbrakes jus run full outer which isn't a issue I was running Clarks no flex stuff so made everything much tighter

No pics as I'm on my iPhone but can send u pics via txt of gfs sts with brake adapter ?
Text is fine. Btw, got the bits, should be almost enough for a full set.

Back