The "old" XT brake cable and housing.

Spankyfart

Marin Fan
I have 2 bikes I need cables for, these are 6MM housing and 2mm innards.
What are my options apart from finding them NOS on fleebay and paying 1 million dollars..
Ideally I'd like the XT / Shimano labelled ones but I assume these came in different brands seeing the 80's all had these kind of cables on bikes?

Anyone replaced their cables and what did you end up using?
I can re-use the cables themselves if I keep the flatbar, are motorcycle housings around the same diameter when I can't find anything else?

Attachments

• xt cable.jpg
    xt cable.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 9
Clarks did oversized cables - I have seen them on Ebay every so often - having a quick look now having searched 'Clarkes 2mm cable' you can see a few examples of what I mean.
I think you're right re: the outer - just looking at the label on one of the Clarkes ones on Ebay and it says 'auto lined outer'.

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I have 2 bikes I need cables for, these are 6MM housing and 2mm innards.
What are my options apart from finding them NOS on fleebay and paying 1 million dollars..
Your chances are pretty good I would say..

If the seller doesnt ship to you I'm sure one of us can help out. Check sellers other items if you just want the inners.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yeah those are nice and would work on my MTB but for my 700C CBL I need 110CM.
The cables themselves are fine, they aren't rusted, it's really the outer cable that needs replacing.
lol just checked the price for 1 with shipping and welcome to the EU tax, 8 euro item, 30 euro checkout.

Thanks for the link, if I get desperate enough I guess I'll pull the trigger someday.

Yeah those are nice and would work on my MTB but for my 700C CBL I need 110CM.
The cables themselves are fine, they aren't rusted, it's really the outer cable that needs replacing.
lol just checked the price for 1 with shipping and welcome to the EU tax, 8 euro item, 30 euro checkout.

Thanks for the link, if I get desperate enough I guess I'll pull the trigger someday.
Could you not use standard cables? Sorry if stupid question.

It's not a stupid question, the 90-91 XT brakes came with the thick cables, even the cablestops on the frame are for 6mm. Plus they look so good.
But you can run the tiny cable. On the outers the difference isn't really noticable, but the cable itself if "thicc" and the canti hangers came in the same size.
The U Brake has a small cable but I do own the original U brake cable. It's just a 90/91 XT thing, and all my Koga's are from 91.

cable.jpg

Attachments

• 20230910_125948.jpg
    20230910_125948.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230910_130001.jpg
    20230910_130001.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230910_130028.jpg
    20230910_130028.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230910_130038.jpg