Grey faceplate RD-M735 ???

Re: Re:

retrobikeguy":39t2zd83 said:
I have a black long cage MD and a grey OA long cage that I can see, cant get to the rest as its a little difficult to move in the man cave at the moment :oops:

.....Is it also a thought that the derailleur plates may have been sat waiting on a shelf for the rest of the parts to be made? or do we think they were stamped upon leaving the factory?

RBG
Cheers Lee
Well that's now two grey OAs! Good man!
No idea how they were assembled but from a purely hypothetical manufacturing process perspective, surely the entire derailleur would have been assembled in-line from batches of parts all produced at the same time, so the date stamp must be fairly reliable to pinpoint time of manufacture (if not, then assembly anyway) and also would've been important from a warranty standpoint/quality control as in for potential recalls?

Whatever the case I am now much less inclined to believe that mine, the other Instafram commenter and yours are victims of fading, because of their dates. ;)

Re:

I'm looking at an unused one now and it's grey, with a very subtle graphite like fleck. Definitely not faded as I've had it boxed from new. Date code RF

ferrus":3f6jb9y2 said:
I'm looking at an unused one now and it's grey, with a very subtle graphite like fleck. Definitely not faded as I've had it boxed from new. Date code RF
Wow, thanks! That dispels the fading theory then (presuming it's been in a box). That puts it at Jun '93, quite some way off the earlier ones.
Any chance of a pic? :)

Re:

M735 are defo usually the grey/blue colour or at least all mine have been. From my experience the black signifies M730/32.

Doesn't explain your two though. I didn't think M735 had arrived in 89?

brocklanders023":6grfqvew said:
M735 are defo usually the grey/blue colour or at least all mine have been. From my experience the black signifies M730/32.

Doesn't explain your two though. I didn't think M735 had arrived in 89?
I initially thought M735 was later too, until buying the 89 one. I did check Mombat for dates a while ago, can't remember if they list any difference is between that and M735, so it is definitely odd.

Maybe, just like any other mass-produced item, the explanation is purely down to variations in paint batches, or a switch of suppliers as sometimes happens in the car industry where one colour is completely discontinued and an alternate one introduced.

Re:

MOMBAT says M735 came along in 90 along with STI. Saying that, a 1990 groupset would have been first produced in 1989.

Must admit, I thought M735 was later but there you go. My money would be on your black one being a very early example.

Back