Goodbye to ebay !

This and the fees they now add on to the sellers postal rates are a big turn-off in my eyes.
Ebay have clearly made a decision in the past that it no longer favours the little individual sellers using it like an online jumble sale & are pushing for it to sit alongside Amazon, as a trusted resource for buying anything & everything from reputable bulk sellers. - Essentially they are pushing sellers into offering goods 'Post-Free', great for the site but not for sellers, especially the likes of us small time sellers. I've barely made a quid on a couple of items I've sold which has basically made me reluctant to sell on there now.

As a side note, it's been in the news this week how ebay in America are being fined $billions for selling products that defeat diesel emissions on vehicles. Are the individual sellers being allowed to get away with this by ebay or likewise what about the buyers? Ebay can trace all of this surely?

The inclusion of fees onto the postage charges was to stop sellers posting an item for 1p and charging £99 for postage to get around paying fees on the sold item. The seller does not lose any extra money.

Agree with you about them wanting to turn it into a site similar to Amazon with fixed prices, though for me as a seller the fees are still less than Amazon and other sites for listing small items which I sell. All this is doing is helping to push others to create sites similar to how ebay started, which is fine by me, though until they have seller/buyer protection similar to ebay I will using them sparingly.

As a private seller you simply wait for a discounted listing weekend and relist everything about to expire on the 2nd one. Keeps everything on a cheap listing.

They come every other week now and the the fees are next to nothing (plus the selling price is higher than in other places )

Business selling fees are a different but still way cheaper than Amazon.

Ebays special way of saying "Happy New Year"

Possibly this time of year is when lots of people have an annual clear out and list all sorts of things on ebay and ebay want to maximise those profits.

Just noticed a new change on eBay.

When making an offer on an item, eBay asks you to pre-approve the payment method should the seller accept.
I don't have an issue with this, as I'm only making an offer on something that I want to buy, and I will be happy to pay for it straight away.

I'm guessing this change is aimed at deterring people from making offers that they have no intention of paying for.
I read this as a way to get you to trust those pricks ( sellers normally ok , but as an organisation ebay are twats in my opinion ) so in order to make an offer you have to sign up to let ebay pretend to be a bank and make more money and sell your details, as if they dont directly I believe they will in some way. Ebay is close to dead to me, which is an arse as a lover of old things its an avenue gone, but taking a 1/4 of every sale and making it so buyer orientated when the world is rapidly filling with assholes with different apporach to life and people than me is a no from me.
I cant make offers now, and when they stop me choosing how to pay I will be done.
Lots of different platforms out there, I am sure there will be alternatives, we all thought the premise of ebay was mad, to start with and I can remember sending cheques to pay for things, but nowadays I just want to keep my details out of it as much as possible, not really trusting anyone.

Back