Goodbye to ebay !

For the moment I've let this lapse with ebay selling so I can still buy through them using Paypal but my selling account is frozen, regardless of whether my instincts are unfounded or not allowing them access to my bank account just doesn't sit right from a security perspective so for now that's how things will stay. Setting up another bank account just for ebay seems like something I shouldn't have to do because Paypal was perfectly good in this regard and like others I use Paypal as a buffer but get the feeling its days are numbered as a useful buffer after this.

I've had a love hate relationship with ebay as a selling platform for a long time and apart from the large market as a plus point have felt the whole experience has deteriorated markedly over the last however many decades (ouch) I've been using it to buy and sell. So I'm currently looking at other means of selling unwanted hobby items but there really is little alternative. Certainly not a single place anyway so it seems I will be needing to use more than one, FB market place has been ok for collection only items but its a much smaller audience and so can take a lot longer

I've signed up but they haven't transferred any micropayments into the separate account so essentially I'm not confirmed. I'm not desperate to sell anything through eBay so I'm not going to follow it up. eBay feels like a platform that has been under invested it for years and a crap experience for sellers & buyers alike eg try to find things that are able to posted (rather than including collection only). I live in the sticks without a car - so I'm never going to travel to buy something and only want postable listings.

I've signed up but they haven't transferred any micropayments into the separate account so essentially I'm not confirmed. I'm not desperate to sell anything through eBay so I'm not going to follow it up. eBay feels like a platform that has been under invested it for years and a crap experience for sellers & buyers alike eg try to find things that are able to posted (rather than including collection only). I live in the sticks without a car - so I'm never going to travel to buy something and only want postable listings.
The mircopayments took a few days to come through for me, and were received after I'd made new listings on one of there reduced rate selling weekends - so I expected to not have benefitted from the offer. But it was all ok once the micropayments were received and confirmed.

Just noticed a new change on eBay.

When making an offer on an item, eBay asks you to pre-approve the payment method should the seller accept.
I don't have an issue with this, as I'm only making an offer on something that I want to buy, and I will be happy to pay for it straight away.

I'm guessing this change is aimed at deterring people from making offers that they have no intention of paying for.

When making an offer on an item, eBay asks you to pre-approve the payment method should the seller accept.
I don't have an issue with this, as I'm only making an offer on something that I want to buy, and I will be happy to pay for it straight away.

I'm guessing this change is aimed at deterring people from making offers that they have no intention of paying for.

Think there is an option for the seller to select this when listing.

More likely to make sure eBay get their fee.

How many times do sellers have an item that’s cash on collection and once the item has been collected (in cash) the transaction is cancelled.

I noticed this change a few weeks ago when I made an offer on a bike. Woke up to it being accepted and the payment made. I prefer to pay in cash once I’ve looked at it.

I’d now be hesitant to make an offer on a low feedback sellers bike as I’m sure it would be difficult to get funds returned if the bike isn’t as described if they simply close their account.

Annoyingly I still get offers that I accept. And then no payment is made. This is for posted items.

More likely to make sure eBay get their fee.

How many times do sellers have an item that’s cash on collection and once the item has been collected (in cash) the transaction is cancelled.

I noticed this change a few weeks ago when I made an offer on a bike. Woke up to it being accepted and the payment made. I prefer to pay in cash once I’ve looked at it.

I’d now be hesitant to make an offer on a low feedback sellers bike as I’m sure it would be difficult to get funds returned if the bike isn’t as described if they simply close their account.

Annoyingly I still get offers that I accept. And then no payment is made. This is for posted items.

When you made the offer was not cash on collection an option?

And your funds are not returned by the seller, they are returned by ebay who then get the money off the seller, you still get your money even if ebay can no longer get the money automatically back from the seller.

When you made the offer was not cash on collection an option?

And your funds are not returned by the seller, they are returned by ebay who then get the money off the seller, you still get your money even if ebay can no longer get the money automatically back from the seller.

No idea. I’ve it 3 times now in last couple of weeks.

I know I would get the funds back. My point is that it’s gonna be harder to get the funds back , than simply having never handed the cash over in the first place.

The amount of bikes I go to buy and they end up cracked / broken in some way that I either have to walk away or negotiate a new price. This will be harder after you’ve paid.

Sellers unfortunately try it on but also genuinely don’t know sometimes.

Makes me realise just how much I pay in fees when I sell an item on Ebay, plus vat on the fees.
I think before when fees were split between Ebay and PayPal I didn't notice it so much.
Selling an item on here/Gumtree/FB Marketplace is preferable for me, but ebay does reach a wider audience.

This and the fees they now add on to the sellers postal rates are a big turn-off in my eyes.
Ebay have clearly made a decision in the past that it no longer favours the little individual sellers using it like an online jumble sale & are pushing for it to sit alongside Amazon, as a trusted resource for buying anything & everything from reputable bulk sellers. - Essentially they are pushing sellers into offering goods 'Post-Free', great for the site but not for sellers, especially the likes of us small time sellers. I've barely made a quid on a couple of items I've sold which has basically made me reluctant to sell on there now.

As a side note, it's been in the news this week how ebay in America are being fined $billions for selling products that defeat diesel emissions on vehicles. Are the individual sellers being allowed to get away with this by ebay or likewise what about the buyers? Ebay can trace all of this surely?

Ebay seem to be making it harder, or at least more complex. Their fees seem to have become a tax, rather than an acceptable payment for the service provided :(

Doesn't stop me falling down a retro rabbit hole every time I open the app though....

Back