Goodbye to ebay !

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I assume most of you now know that from 31st may, private sellers cant sell on ebay without having " managed payments". Essentially giving ebay not only your bank details, but power to take money as they choose and see fit. Frankly i also dont trust them with the details and as they are not a bank, cant see how they are going to ensure security.

Well there's not a chance in hell of me signing up to that!

Also fees are rising to 12.5% from 10%.

I liked my paypal account and the buffer it gave me between ebay and the money and i liked even better the paypal only credit card that stood behind that as a back stop too.

Bye bye ebay....its been fun, but no thanks.

yep, but you had to register your pp account with ebay too, which gave them direct access to it allowing them to withdraw fees or money owed etc, so no different.

The only difference is your payments will take a couple of days until available, not including weekends. There was no need for a middle man and all they have done is cut that out to reap the extra money/fees instead of pp taking a cut. They are a business after all.

I've not updated my details yet (not a big ebay seller really), but do you still have the option for the buyer to pay through PayPal, or is it only ebay managed now?

However, if you sell under non-promotional times, isn't the ebay fee 10% and PayPal 3.50% ish, i.e. 13.5% in total? So the ebay managed route at 12.5% is cheaper, no?

I hadn't seen that. I don't fancy dealing with that - in addition to Ebay not being easy as a seller anyway, if you get a difficult buyer.

I'm not sure if it's to do with whether you pay Paypal by card on bank transfer, but I know Ebay could only take money before if it was in my Paypal balance.

Maybe it will help prevent the "I'll just buy it for the [insert random small component here] and sell the rest on Ebay." which usually then ended up with keeping most/all of it anyway.

Ebay only used pp as they had a 5yr agreement after the split, that has expired now. A buyer can still pay using pp but the money goes into ebay account instead of pp, and yes, for some it works out cheaper.

I hadn't seen that. I don't fancy dealing with that - in addition to Ebay not being easy as a seller anyway, if you get a difficult buyer.

I'm not sure if it's to do with whether you pay Paypal by card on bank transfer, but I know Ebay could only take money before if it was in my Paypal balance.

Maybe it will help prevent the "I'll just buy it for the [insert random small component here] and sell the rest on Ebay." which usually then ended up with keeping most/all of it anyway.

no, ebay had authority to claim money from your pp account if you owed them any, refused to refund a buyer for example.

no, ebay had authority to claim money from your pp account if you owed them any, refused to refund a buyer for example.

I meant if I had emptied my Paypal they couldn't get it - I remember them claiming a seller's fee which they should have refunded to me, but because I had no money in my Paypal they couldn't take it.

25% increase in fees is going straight in their pockets - wonder what that amounts to globally. Monstrous I'd imagine.

it is, but as mentioned it is actually cheaper than what you were paying fee wise before! just ebay take the extra instead of pp, no difference, you still had to give it to someone.

I meant if I had emptied my Paypal they couldn't get it - I remember them claiming a seller's fee which they should have refunded to me, but because I had no money in my Paypal they couldn't take it.

Yes they could, your pp is/should be, linked to your bank, so they were able to claim money which you then had to sort with bank if pp took it from your account. That is why they also linked cards to accounts.

Back