"Good for jumps in Miggy woods"

From my recollection of MBUK BITD Smiffy loved any of the Santa Cruz range. He was regularly seen on a Heckler and I think the pics were taken in Miggy Woods. I'd have loved one of these bikes, or a Marin Mt Vison Pro, but they were always out of my price range. Nearest I got was to test drive a Mt Vision in 1997. Great bike, didn't want to take it back...

I was curious what kind of polish you used and/or other cleaners? My Taz is pretty rough looking right now and would like to spruce it up a bit like yours.

Cheers guys. I love cleaning products, bordering on obsession. :/

On the front triangle I used T-cut just to get most of the stubborn dirt off, then polished it with Autoglym Super resin polish and a soft rag.

The rear triangle was polished with a product from Americaland, its called 'Mothers Mag'. So far, its the best metal polish I have found.

So...

When can I have a go? ;)
I can bring the San Andreas along so you have something to ride whilst I sling a leg over the yellow one.

-=smiffy=-

Re:

I havn't moved home either since this thread was first tapped up.

Anyone wants to replay this article, give me a shout!

Having another look at the thread, i missed the steps that the guy is riding down. they are still there, or were a short while ago, they lead to what was the old house. A private home back...way back then.

As it goes the bomb holes were caused by mining activity in the woods at the time when coal was worth digging up. the holes came about by methane gas explosions that were heard for miles around. apparently 'normal' back then. Some trees (100yrs old +) now grow at odd angles because of the blasts when displaced as saplings.

Now i think i'm gonna do some kind of selfie on those steps next time i'm on me bike.

Re:

Bombholes in miggy woods are the remains of Bell pits, which were (mostly) collapsed on purpose after use. Although my grandfather always told of of one where the "shovels" (a reference to the miners) were buried alive when it collapsed. True or not, I always used to ride around that one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Isle,_Leeds
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_pit

The methane explosion well written about in Belle Isle history (Leeds Library has several copies) happened in 1758. It was a result of using gunpowder to blast through rock in order to follow the Middleton Little Seam coal seam. That happened at one of the main pillar and stall mine shafts. (And bout half a mile south of the woods as they are now - roughly in the middle of the Hunslet Hawkes ground/South Leeds Stadium is)

The steps in the photo are nowhere near miggy woods. We shot that half a mile away from Steve Behr's (the photographer) old house in Staines :)

-=smiffy=-

Re:

Cheers.

I will take a snap at the steps and add to thread, i thought they were. very similar.

Why Leeds though? If i read it all up there may be an answer, but prefer a witness statement instead.

Convenient? passing through?

Re:

I was born in Hunslet Carr. My family on my Mother's side goes back 6 generations in Leeds :)
Miggy woods and my uncle's scrapyard were my playground as I grew up.
I must get up there again one day!

-=smiffy=-

Back