Votes: 6 15.8%
  • who the hell are you anyway??

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re:

M-Power":fttphkzo said:
Stay away from politics and social consciousness threads for a start, tempting though it is to wade in sometimes.

Dude you are the lifeblood of this site, without you we are nothing, there is no hope for the retro community and indeed life. I will miss seeing you pull away fully crossed over in the big rings, like Cavendish in an Omnium.

So long mate.
Just do as I'm doing, report all the shite that is just today's 'news' not bike related.
The mods will see it constantly when they log in.
I know I see it in my unofficial areas ;-)

If it continues to be in my new posts always near the top another post will be randomly reported.
Hopefully It can just be a bike forum and the odd help me with this.

Either way, I can see LGF on Facebook (any other old bike forums we can move to?)

But this is about lgf being bored.
He's been away from site before.
He needs to get out riding and building and climbing over gates.

(So do I)

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":2mhwvfy3 said:
Just do as I'm doing, report all the shite that is just today's 'news' not bike related.
The mods will see it constantly when they log in.

True that. However for now I'm not doing anything about those reports, only making mental notes. When a user steps out of line, 2 mods agreeing is all it takes to do something about it. However with a change such as this there needs to be more input. That could take a couple of days, not all mods are online every day.

2-3 years ago we were accused of being too strict, so we figured we'd loosen the reigns and let the forum self-moderate to some extent. Apparently that doesn't work either. Also in the last year or so the G&OT mods were either absent or too busy with real life and their business to spend much time here. We are aware of that.

Just had a closer look at the topics on page 1 of the G&OT section, and I'd probably lock almost all of them. There would be little G&OT left and plenty of complaints about us being too strict. Honestly, if it weren't for the couple of threads that are interesting, politics-free and have no other place where they'd fit, I'd just remove the entire section. All this bickering isn't fun for us either.

Re:

But the world and its people need to talk about/discuss politics somewhere. People just need to learn how to be civil in their communications and exchanges.

I don't think the argument was about mods being too strict, it was more about inconsistent thread cleaning and locking. Some remained open and full of all kinds of abuse but others that stepped slightly out of line were locked or edited quickly. I know this because i was one of the members who asked for clarification about this on a thread.

Being slightly asd I don't even look at the rules any more, I just apply what i consider to be reasonable values and tone down any insults or aspersions that I may want to voice. Usually the things that should be locked or removed are. I am shocked at how strongly some react to the views of others.

On the whole it works well. But if you allow unfettered comment, things get out of hand very quickly as some seem to have no internal controls or a substantially different view of appropriate etiquette when addressing another member. Others take offence at far milder remarks than some of their own.

That politics forum is the place for full on debate on the issues of the day. The G&OT was more like a births deaths and marriages column with a bit of general knowledge, consumer guidance and handy hints for life and repair thrown in. Take the controversy somewhere else.

Re:

All this bickering isn't fun for us either.

One mans bickering is another mans discussion, albeit a bit heated at times.

I quite enjoy it. There's no place for extremist views, but I think it's perfectly natural to discuss the events that surround us in our daily lives and clearly there are some very different views expressed.

I am of course always right, albeit on the left, and anyone that doesn't agree with me is clearly a swivel eyed loon. :p

Re:

And you are free to goto the BBC website and discus on there or the many other places.

The rest of us can also leave, but then is just becomes a O&T 4 or 5 of you bickering the same thing on another news topic of the day and not a RetroBike forum.

God some of you are boring. have you ever thought that it isn't that the off topic section is lively but more the cycling part isn't? Some of you are trying to hide that by blaming the off topic section whilst your yourselves have taken this thread off topic.

The thread was about lgf who said "I dont mind the same old questions of what isnt compatible with what, thats not the issue; its just not fun anymore."

Lgf like most of us at sometime lose our retro mojo, I'm not sure why he has made a thread to say about it but he has. He has in the past left as have most of us have, it should have been more helpful but far too many whingers have made it 6 pages long by blaming everyman and his dog and lgf has only replied once.

KDM":30isqnnb said:
God some of you are boring. have you ever thought that it isn't that the off topic section is lively but more the cycling part isn't?
Basically this.

I struggle with these moans. There is (afaics) very little 'abuse' if any at all. Swearing is prevented 95% of the time. There are no threats or name calling beyond 'snowflake', 'loon' etc. But people will always disagree. And as long as the tone is civil I really can't see the issue.

I suspect the average age here is 40+ and getting older, in every sense. We can't all be on bikes, building bikes or thinking about bikes with the same enthusiasm we might have had bitd. But life carries on, and right now 'life' has a lot of complications and events going on. It's only natural to discuss them. And unnatural to agree with everyone else.

19225677_10154717769916593_8233852654432827204_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back